MP40 constantly grinding noise (argh!!!!)

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mp40s on my 6 foot 180g. Both on the same wall, one on the left side, one on the right side as you look at it (peninsula).
Anyways, 10 inches apart: one of them zero noise since I got it; the other one seems like it attracts snails!!! Drives me crazy - I clean it up and two days later strong grinding noise! Done this probably 20 times already, has been doing this since I got it.

Does anyone have an idea how to prevent tiny snails from going into the wet side chamber (where the magnet is)?! It's the most frustrating pump/thing since I bought it - and also one of the most expensive things in my tank!

I would appreciate any kind of suggestion at this point, I am out of patience after 1 year.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put the sponge cover on it or replace the wet side cover with a 3d printed “limpet” attachment, that should help keep critters out

image.jpg

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem after replacing the wet side of my original MP40. The newer model has slots along the outer diameter of the magnet housing. This appears to be where the snails were entering. I solved the problem by wrapping a thin layer of teflon tape around the magnet housing and then reinstalling the cage. I haven't had a problem since. Good Luck

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back