Tidal 110 (or any other HOB filter) vibration problem

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

I have a Aqueon 35 gallon rimless cube, and buy a Tidal 110 for it. I found the first tidal 110 brings a lot of noise so I returned and got another new one. However, noise is still there. I figure out the main source of noise is the vibration from the filter to the glass. Since the tank is rimless, the vibration directly transfer to the glass, and then resonate. I wonder:
1. What is the best way to eliminate the vibration?
2. Will this vibration harm the glass/tank?
3. The filter can only be slanted, is this what it is?
IMG_0317.jpeg
IMG_0318.jpeg

Thank you for any help!

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Tidal 55 on my QT tank. To reduce the vibration I have to turn the light blue spacer so that it is very extended. One potential issue with your setup is you do not have much room behind the tank. You can try moving the tank temporarily and see if extending the blue spacer out further helps reduce the vibration.

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Tidal 55 on my QT tank. To reduce the vibration I have to turn the light blue spacer so that it is very extended. One potential issue with your setup is you do not have much room behind the tank. You can try moving the tank temporarily and see if extending the blue spacer out further helps reduce the vibration.
Ok I will extend the spacer. There is enough space, due to the angel it looks like not enough space. Did you put any cushion or something between filter and glass?

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run HOB'S of varying brand for many years. They all seem to have this issue. Usually you don't see them running on rimless tanks, as they are designed for rimed aquariums. Personally i would get it sitting level with shims or foam or whatever works. fixing the vibration issue is a different story. Since its designed for a rim i dont think the vibration issue will go away. Do you have plans for a sump?

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run HOB'S of varying brand for many years. They all seem to have this issue. Usually you don't see them running on rimless tanks, as they are designed for rimed aquariums. Personally i would get it sitting level with shims or foam or whatever works. fixing the vibration issue is a different story. Since its designed for a rim i dont think the vibration issue will go away. Do you have plans for a sump?
No I don't, at least for this tank no. Is there any HOB designed for rimless tank?

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't believe so. i would 3d print an adapter of come up w a solution. Personally, i would get a hob overflow box and get a sump.
I previously use a Tetra Whisper 30 (also hob) for my 10 gallon rimless tank, it is very quiet. So I didn't expect the tidal 110 will bring such big noise.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously use a Tetra Whisper 30 (also hob) for my 10 gallon rimless tank, it is very quiet. So I didn't expect the tidal 110 will bring such big noise.
the 110 is designed for a 110 gal aquarium, so it has to have a high GPH of flow threw it.

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, but i would not do that. you need the flow in your tank.

How many gallons?

livestock?

Coral's?
It is a 35 gallon cube as stated in the question. I plan to build a Fish Only Tank with rocks and sands. Plan to have 3 clowns (try Trio), 2-3 small tangs (I know they will grow fast so I will change a bigger tank in the future when needed), and 1 small foxface.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a 35 gallon cube as stated in the question. I plan to build a Fish Only Tank with rocks and sands. Plan to have 3 clowns (try Trio), 2-3 small tangs (I know they will grow fast so I will change a bigger tank in the future when needed), and 1 small foxface.
I would let it ride, you will be upgrading in 6 months or less anyway.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try pushing the blue part at the bottom out more so that the filter isn't leaning back

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back