Eshopps S Series Skimmer Noise

tmnigat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other Eshopps S Series owners out there who can comment on the noise level of these skimmers? I recently purchased an Eshopps Premiere S-300 and was so excited to get it installed. Shortly after setting everything up I turn on the skimmer and wow was I put off by the sound this thing was putting off. The hum coming from the motor block travels rooms and I can hear it in my bedroom while trying to sleep :(

I've placed a silicone mat under it but i'm fairly convinced its not vibration in the sump. I took the pump out and suspended it in my bath tub which the noise is just as prevalent. I reached out to Eshopps and received the usual response of give it time to break in. They suggested placing some food grade silicone lubricant on the ceramic shafts on each end of the impeller to help, i'm still waiting on it in the mail to see if it does.

I also took some decibel readings with an app on my phone. No skimmer running in my room is around 42db. S-300 turned on I'm reading around 56-58 db.

I really want this skimmer to work out, the skimmate its pulling and quality of the bubbles is night and day compared to my old skimmer. The sicce pump though seems like it may just be too noisy for me. I don't know if I'm very sensitive to hearing or maybe my expectations were too high.

Anybody else have experience with these skimmers?

OP
OP
T

tmnigat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Appreciate the bump. Update, the food grade silicone lubricant did absolutely nothing. It feels almost as the pump is vibrating its own casing. After the lube didn't work I picked up a Simplicity 320 DC and hooked it up. Decibel rating is 42db with skimmer off, 45db with it on. Much better than the 56-58db I was getting with the Eshopps. It's a shame as the eshopps really was performing well :( Time to see how the Simplicity works, I like it alot so far but it seems kind of small especially compared to the eshopps. I'll be returning the Eshopps.

Here is a vid I took of the noise in the bath tub. It sounds louder recorded on my phone than the youtube vid. Maybe it's acceptable to some people but not me.

Johnno1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the bump. Update, the food grade silicone lubricant did absolutely nothing. It feels almost as the pump is vibrating its own casing. After the lube didn't work I picked up a Simplicity 320 DC and hooked it up. Decibel rating is 42db with skimmer off, 45db with it on. Much better than the 56-58db I was getting with the Eshopps. It's a shame as the eshopps really was performing well :( Time to see how the Simplicity works, I like it alot so far but it seems kind of small especially compared to the eshopps. I'll be returning the Eshopps.

Here is a vid I took of the noise in the bath tub. It sounds louder recorded on my phone than the youtube vid. Maybe it's acceptable to some people but not me.

I know this post is old but i have recently purchased the 4th Gen Eshopps S200 and this very noise issue is the reason I signed up to this forum. How is the new skimmer going?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys putting the little clear/white o-ring between the pump and bubble plate?

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and it makes a loud hum even with just the pump just on it’s own sitting on the base plate, I took it apart twice today and no improvement.

Johnno1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my post I returned my Eshopps S200 to the fish shop and swapped for a Tunze DC 9410 and haven’t regretted it.
Quiet and mostly hear just the bubble ing noise of the skimmer

Johnno1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my post I returned my Eshopps S200 to the fish shop and swapped for a Tunze DC 9410 and haven’t regretted it.
Quiet and mostly hear just the bubble ing noise of the skimmer

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back