Esopps 4.8 Reef

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well BRS and the new tank bug got me. I wanted another tank for my office but I don’t have a ton of space so I picked up this little 4.8 gal yesterday.

I didn’t get any upgrades for it but I’m thinking I should add the Sicce pump and an ATO right out of the gate.

I have kessil lights on my big tank and love them but I may try something new her with the small form factor. Any suggestions?

Stocking plan would be mostly inverts and coral. Maybe a clown pair or a goby. Any fish that would outgrow the tank will be able to be re-homed into our upcoming 250gal build.

Excited to start the pico adventure!

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well BRS and the new tank bug got me. I wanted another tank for my office but I don’t have a ton of space so I picked up this little 4.8 gal yesterday.

I didn’t get any upgrades for it but I’m thinking I should add the Sicce pump and an ATO right out of the gate.

I have kessil lights on my big tank and love them but I may try something new her with the small form factor. Any suggestions?

Stocking plan would be mostly inverts and coral. Maybe a clown pair or a goby. Any fish that would outgrow the tank will be able to be re-homed into our upcoming 250gal build.

Excited to start the pico adventure!
Sounds good! Good luck!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the build! Hope to see a lovely, successful reef down the line! :star-struck:

Remember; patience! :cool:

OP
OP
Cycleguy0623

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got the tank today! I wanted black sand so I got some of the Hawaiian to contrast the orange a little. Got it set up and dosed ammonia as well as Microbactor7.

Planned upgrades
New pump (thinking of trying the new Axis 20)
AI prime 16 or xR15
ATO (auto aqua smart water changer lite)
Mini Helio PTC heater
Mini Q Nano skimmer
Apex jr

IMG_4417.jpeg

IMG_4416.jpeg
IMG_4429.jpeg
IMG_4426.jpeg
IMG_5324.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got the tank today! I wanted black sand so I got some of the Hawaiian to contrast the orange a little. Got it set up and dosed ammonia as well as Microbactor7.

Planned upgrades
New pump (thinking of trying the new Axis 20)
AI prime 16 or xR15
ATO (auto aqua smart water changer lite)
Mini Helio PTC heater
Mini Q Nano skimmer
Apex jr

IMG_4417.jpeg

IMG_4416.jpeg
IMG_4429.jpeg
IMG_4426.jpeg
IMG_5324.jpeg
Love the black sand choice!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great - Not usually a fan of the all black sand, but I think it really works in this tank with the pop of color the tank gives it.

Since you plan on adding the new AI Axis pump, you'll have plenty of supply flow to upgrade the stock outlet with either a single or dual RFG nozzle - then you won't even need a powerhead.

We offer Deskmake specific flow kits that work perfectly with this tank

1701443594619.png

OP
OP
Cycleguy0623

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great - Not usually a fan of the all black sand, but I think it really works in this tank with the pop of color the tank gives it.

Since you plan on adding the new AI Axis pump, you'll have plenty of supply flow to upgrade the stock outlet with either a single or dual RFG nozzle - then you won't even need a powerhead.

We offer Deskmake specific flow kits that work perfectly with this tank

1701443594619.png
Thank you! I don’t usually like black sand either but this just works with the orange. Just ordered one of the duel kits as I am using an Axis 20 in the tank now.

jeffreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I have the same tank and got it on the BRS Black Friday sale as well. I’m liking the black sand. Let me know which upgrades you end up going with as I am considering some as well. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Cycleguy0623

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I have the same tank and got it on the BRS Black Friday sale as well. I’m liking the black sand. Let me know which upgrades you end up going with as I am considering some as well. Best of luck!
Will do! I obviously ordered the VCA flow kit. I went with the duel head as I upgraded to the AI Axis 20 pump which can push 183 gps. Hoping this gives me good strong random flow with no powerhead. I’ll update once installed.

Thinking of ordering the Kraken reef lid feeding up and floss cup.

jeffreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do! I obviously ordered the VCA flow kit. I went with the duel head as I upgraded to the AI Axis 20 pump which can push 183 gps. Hoping this gives me good strong random flow with no powerhead. I’ll update once installed.

Thinking of ordering the Kraken reef lid feeding up and floss cup.
I’m considering the same lid and cup. Are you getting the evap cover? I’ll be doing the single head RFG.

OP
OP
Cycleguy0623

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering the same lid and cup. Are you getting the evap cover? I’ll be doing the single head RFG.
i don’t think so at least not at the start. I have had overheating issues in the past with covered tanks.

OP
OP
Cycleguy0623

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure! I’m filling that little thing up twice a day right now as it’s cycling. I’m thinking about the Prism ATO because it’s so small.

CayoHueso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I don’t usually like black sand either but this just works with the orange. Just ordered one of the duel kits as I am using an Axis 20 in the tank now.

How's the Axis 20 working out for you?

I have the Deskmate 9 gallon Florida model, and I have a MightyJet pump on the way. But I was looking into the Axis so I could set feed times to coincide with the auto feeder when I'm out of the house. I was concerned the Axis might take up to much volume in the return pump chamber and run itself dry, so I went with the MightyJet. If the Axis 20 is working well for you, I may just return the MightyJet and get the Axis.

OP
OP
Cycleguy0623

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the Axis 20 working out for you?

I have the Deskmate 9 gallon Florida model, and I have a MightyJet pump on the way. But I was looking into the Axis so I could set feed times to coincide with the auto feeder when I'm out of the house. I was concerned the Axis might take up to much volume in the return pump chamber and run itself dry, so I went with the MightyJet. If the Axis 20 is working well for you, I may just return the MightyJet and get the Axis.
So far the Axis has been in a week and it's running great! I have it running at 78% and it never runs dry. It took a little playing with it to figure out where the max was really. It fit in the sump very well and is dead silent. The calibration future was really nice as well as it let me set the minimum speed for feed mode and overall max speed so I never run it dry. I'm waiting on a duel flow output for it and hopefully, that will let me run it just a little higher for a bit more flow in the tank with no powerhead. I would buy the Axis again though at this point given the choice.

CayoHueso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the Axis has been in a week and it's running great! I have it running at 78% and it never runs dry. It took a little playing with it to figure out where the max was really. It fit in the sump very well and is dead silent. The calibration future was really nice as well as it let me set the minimum speed for feed mode and overall max speed so I never run it dry. I'm waiting on a duel flow output for it and hopefully, that will let me run it just a little higher for a bit more flow in the tank with no powerhead. I would buy the Axis again though at this point given the choice.
Is there room still left for an ATO? Do you mind posting a photo of the Axis in the chamber? Thanks!

OP
OP
Cycleguy0623

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of room for a nano ATO. I was planning on the prism. I will say it needs an ATO badly. I could not go more than about 18 hours between top offs. I did have to cut about an inch off the return line to get the pump to sit in the tank.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Cycleguy0623

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to special but the tank has been up about 3 weeks. I dosed some ammonia and added DR Tim’s. Just hitting the tail end of an algae bloom and have been ghost feeding. Going to give things another week to settle in before doing much.

Going to add an ATO as soon as I can and likely make this a zoa garden with some mushrooms.

IMG_5431.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back