Established tank - cant get rid of Diatoms

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all

I have an established tank (4 years old) and im dealing with diatoms. its just on the sand, i suck it out and its back within a day. no silicates in the tank, will test RODI container. (assuming if none in tank then none in RODI. i added Arc Reef purple helix about 5 weeks ago to regrow my coraline and out compete the diatoms (no change). Also yesterday went 100% GFO in my reactor to see if that'll help.

current chemistry is
P03 .21
Nitrate 2-5 ppm
salinity 1.26
alk 10
cal 480
mg 1470

thumbnail_IMG_8450.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8566.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reduce white intensity, increase Blue and add Chemipure blue

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an easy tank to take apart, clean the sand, put back after solid rinsing, be diatom free

of all the jobs ever collected in the sand rinse thread, this would top out as easiest with best sustained cure and most accessible system

that is hardly any invasion/ very low level. That it’s not worse means your tank is in great balance, it’s lacking the matched grazer nature would provide. Sand rinse = man grazer

Last edited:

Payedjay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all

I have an established tank (4 years old) and im dealing with diatoms. its just on the sand, i suck it out and its back within a day. no silicates in the tank, will test RODI container. (assuming if none in tank then none in RODI. i added Arc Reef purple helix about 5 weeks ago to regrow my coraline and out compete the diatoms (no change). Also yesterday went 100% GFO in my reactor to see if that'll help.

current chemistry is
P03 .21
Nitrate 2-5 ppm
salinity 1.26
alk 10
cal 480
mg 1470

thumbnail_IMG_8450.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8566.jpg
Cover your tank and turn off lights for 3 days we’ll be gone

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no its more thorough than just dealing w the sand, check this out for half an hours read it covers several jobs:

its take apart cleaning. sand cleaning leaves everything in the tank and works around, we do opposite. you can see ID didnt matter, params, we never hesitated to produce a clean tank. no need to wait, just fix it in an hours time.

Last edited:

Wampatom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know they are diatoms? Cyanobacteria and dinoflagellates also produce brown films of the substrate.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no its more thorough than just dealing w the sand, check this out for half an hours read it covers several jobs:

its take apart cleaning. sand cleaning leaves everything in the tank and works around, we do opposite. you can see ID didnt matter, params, we never hesitated to produce a clean tank. no need to wait, just fix it in an hours time.
So what I’m getting out of this thread.

transfer all fish and corals to a temporary tank/tub.

do the same with my live rock. (Blow off/brush off and loose algae.)

and either rinse my sand or add completely new sand.

then re assemble the tank?

mid this the generic break down?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed, the light ramp back up for the new tank/take 5-7 days to get back to full strength was our tuning trick to prevent stressing of corals...that and feed them nicely plus change a couple gallons water just after as increased in/out exchange work about 2 or 3 days after the re assembly. rinse the new sand, no need to change for new that is really good looking setup above its just lacking grazers, it should rinse fine and hold a long time after reset.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank was well established and I had the same issue, a brown dusting all over the sand. Easily blown or stirred away. I tried everything to get rid of it for months and months. Then it occurred to me that it might be dinos. Got a UV Sterilizer and it was gone within days.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was well established and I had the same issue, a brown dusting all over the sand. Easily blown or stirred away. I tried everything to get rid of it for months and months. Then it occurred to me that it might be dinos. Got a UV Sterilizer and it was gone within days.
Did you get a legit one from BRS or did you get a cheap simple one from amazon? I had a green killing machine one for a greeen out I had when I was brand new to the hobby

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm just tested RODI container for silicates using the salifert kit (kind of a pain to read)

to the best of my eyes in seeing between .1 to .25 silicate in my RO container. To solve this do I need to replace my filters? I’m getting a 0 TDS readout.
This could explain why these won’t go away because I’m always feeding the diatoms with the ATO...
@Randy Holmes-Farley thoughts? Or is this level too low for diatoms to feed.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back