ESV B-Ionic consistent growth explosion!!!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some other ways you are adding alk or calcium to the water (or consuming it), so the needed dosing is not always 1:1.

Water changes, rising or falling or dosing nitrate, and sulfur denitrators all mess with the levels of alkalinity and/or calcium. So can using tap water for evaporation top off.
So Randy are you saying under every circumstance the hobbyist shouldn’t dose 1:1 because other than (luck) your alk and cal numbers will be here, there and everywhere. So basically “chase numbers” ?
I always thought 2 part was a science based balanced dosing system to keep you in line with NSW and tank success. I don’t do tap water but I do water changes. Buckets, bags or boxes of salt that we buy are all close but significantly off from each other when it comes to parameter levels. One salt brand can list their calcium at 410 and another at 490? Every seasoned reef will tell you “don’t chase numbers” I’m sure you’re one of them. But again, I always thought dosing 2 part equally was a scientific way to avoid chasing numbers. Appreciate your feedback. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Randy are you saying under every circumstance the hobbyist shouldn’t dose 1:1 because other than (luck) your alk and cal numbers will be here, there and everywhere. So basically “chase numbers” ?
I always thought 2 part was a science based balanced dosing system to keep you in line with NSW and tank success. I don’t do tap water but I do water changes. Buckets, bags or boxes of salt that we buy are all close but significantly off from each other when it comes to parameter levels. One salt brand can list their calcium at 410 and another at 490? Every seasoned reef will tell you “don’t chase numbers” I’m sure you’re one of them. But again, I always thought dosing 2 part equally was a scientific way to avoid chasing numbers. Appreciate your feedback. :)

As noted above, some brands are not designed for 1:1 dosing (for example, Red Sea, I think) , and some that claim they are, are made incorrectly (Seachem Reef Fusion).

But most are made for 1:1 dosing, and I always recommend 1:1 dosing based on alk demand, then watch calcium and if it gets too high or is too low, adjust the dose of the calcium part.

Do not adjust the calcium dose on a daily basis or because it is currently "fine". Calcium testing is too inaccurate to allow daily adjustments, and the actual needed dose may be too small to detect. IMO, calcium is fine from 380 to 550 ppm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above, some brands are not designed for 1:1 dosing (for example, Red Sea, I think) , and some that claim they are, are made incorrectly (Seachem Reef Fusion).

But most are made for 1:1 dosing, and I always recommend 1:1 dosing based on alk demand, then watch calcium and if it gets too high or is too low, adjust the dose of the calcium part.

Do not adjust the calcium dose on a daily basis or because it is currently "fine". Calcium testing is too inaccurate to allow daily adjustments, and the actual needed dose may be too small to detect. IMO, calcium is fine from 380 to 550 ppm.
Excellent! Good stuff, thanks Randy.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using ESV B-ionic after the kalk was nearly maxed out. Works well and fairly inexpensive as a supplement to kalk. There is really no need to fear kalk if done right. I just use program below with three stop gap measures.

I made a stirred and sealed 10 gallon clear container with near saturated kalk and dose one hour after lights go out with a BRS 50 ml/min. I reduced swing in pH with this simple Apex program below. I use a 14 hr dosing program at about 3.5 liters a day and pH stays in 8.2 to 8.4 range with daily swing under 0.1 pH units. This is estimated at roughly 80 cc/day two part . I know that kalk worries people but this program has three safety features. It is limited by storage amount, dosing amount, and pH. I stopped using 5 gallon as it was too much work to refill. I also keep 100 gallons salt water on hand usually in storage room.

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:002:00/023:00
If pH > 8.5 then Off
If Time 12:00 to 22:00 then OFF

I now use less than additional 30 mls each of B-ionic and have slightly high alkalinity demand which is common I think. Since doing this and going back to 8 bulb ATI fixture with 2-UVs on 10 hrs and 4-blue pus / 2-coral plus on eight hours a day thing really took off after three months. I wont mention previous lights.

I have brown efflo that is hinting at giving a purple edge which is very nice. I have a few old school solid color sps and a few newer ones that might take off. I am starting to see the efflo grow on monthly and even weekly basis now. I use a Mike Palleta blue as a canary in coal mine to make sure things are on track. I am staying with this basic system.

I enjoyed seeing the note from Bob Stark above. Well done!

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back