ESV salt

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who’s using this salt system? Just ordered some up… parameters look good at 34ppt, wondering how it mixes at 35ppt, or if there’s no real difference? I like the alk at 9.1, but don’t want to go much higher than that. Will mixing to 35ppt bring it higher?

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who’s using this salt system? Just ordered some up… parameters look good at 34ppt, wondering how it mixes at 35ppt, or if there’s no real difference? I like the alk at 9.1, but don’t want to go much higher than that. Will mixing to 35ppt bring it higher?
It's really good and you won't get higher than 9.1 @ 35ppt

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you. Really looking forward to this salt. ESV products are a-ok in my book.
ESV makes good quality products. The lithium is typically high in this salt, however, I'm not sure if that actually harms anything or not. I've had success with it for many many years. If you want it to mix up consistent (especially with the alk) measure the liquid by using a food scale.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV makes good quality products. The lithium is typically high in this salt, however, I'm not sure if that actually harms anything or not. I've had success with it for many many years. If you want it to mix up consistent (especially with the alk) measure the liquid by using a food scale.
I can do that. How long do you typically let it mix for? It says you can use it pretty soon after mixing, but I don’t have any issues of waiting longer if needed.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do that. How long do you typically let it mix for? It says you can use it pretty soon after mixing, but I don’t have any issues of waiting longer if needed.
I usually mix it up the night before and then use it the next morning. But I've also used it after mixing for 1 hour and that is fine too. It mixes super clean, no residue whatsoever.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually mix it up the night before and then use it the next morning. But I've also used it after mixing for 1 hour and that is fine too. It mixes super clean, no residue whatsoever.
And do you run your tank around 9dkh as well?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the alk at 34 ppt is 9.1 dKH and you mix it the same way to get to 35 ppt, the alk will be 9.4 dKH.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do you run your tank around 9dkh as well?
I used to, but then I went to 8.5, with ESV and now 8.0, however, a few months ago I mixed things up and bought a different brand, mainly to simplify things by not having to weigh out 4-components and ESV is also like 65% more expensive. But even then, that's only like an additional $20 per month, so price is was only secondary.
I just looked at my notes from my ESV water changes:
Mixed at 1.025 / 1.026 using a basic refractometer with Randy's calibration solution and a Hanna Alk checker all of my results ranged between 8.8 and 9.1 with most right at 9.1

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to, but then I went to 8.5, with ESV and now 8.0, however, a few months ago I mixed things up and bought a different brand, mainly to simplify things by not having to weigh out 4-components and ESV is also like 65% more expensive. But even then, that's only like an additional $20 per month, so price is was only secondary.
I just looked at my notes from my ESV water changes:
Mixed at 1.025 / 1.026 using a basic refractometer with Randy's calibration solution and a Hanna Alk checker all of my results ranged between 8.8 and 9.1 with most right at 9.1
Cool. Thank you

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the ESV will put you right around where you want to be without having to mess around with acid or whatever...forget that.
Yep. I’ll burn the rest of my IO on my nem tank. Wasn’t really thrilled with Red Sea blue bucket either. Not sure why I haven’t tried ESV yet, but now’s the time

Back