Esv strontium

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi randy,

I was wondering. How much esv strontium (20% strontium chloride) would increase my tank from 0 to 10ppm?
85 gallons water volume

I came across a previous thread stating that it's 11% strontium, but then got lost at the math after of how many ml = 10ppm

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV strontium chloride is 20% strontium chloride in water, or 11% strontium.

I'm not certain what the density is, but it is likely not too much above 1 g/mL, so as a rough estimate, 1 gram (~1 mL) contains 0.11 grams strontium = 110 mg Sr++.

If you add that 1 mL to 100 liters of tank water, you will boost strontium by about 110 mg/100 L = 1.1 mg/L (~1.1 ppm).

As an aside, I am of the opinion that supplemental strontium is not useful, but it also won't hurt anything if you only dose to NSW levels. :)

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV strontium chloride is 20% strontium chloride in water, or 11% strontium.

I'm not certain what the density is, but it is likely not too much above 1 g/mL, so as a rough estimate, 1 gram (~1 mL) contains 0.11 grams strontium = 110 mg Sr++.

If you add that 1 mL to 100 liters of tank water, you will boost strontium by about 110 mg/100 L = 1.1 mg/L (~1.1 ppm).

As an aside, I am of the opinion that supplemental strontium is not useful, but it also won't hurt anything if you only dose to NSW levels. :)
Thank you very very much! So to continue off that then:
• To raise 100 Liters to 10ppm, I would need ~9ml
• To raise 321 Liters (~85 gallons) to 10ppm, I would need ~34 ml

Would you say is there a 'do not exceed' amount to raise per day? Possibly 1ppm?

You could also send a E/Mail to ESV
They are very helpful with there products
Enjoy the Holiday's
Thanks!!!

According to the tables in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, a 20% w/w solution of SrCl2 has a density of 1.2008 at 20C.

Cheers!

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what Jim said, 1 mL will weigh 1.2 g, so to get 1 gram of product, use 0.83 mL. :)
Got it. Thanks that makes it easier on me! So based on the math above, my 34ml total turned into ~28ml

Would you said not to exceed 1ppm per day?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Thanks that makes it easier on me! So based on the math above, my 34ml total turned into ~28ml

Would you said not to exceed 1ppm per day?

I doubt it matters how fast you dose it. :)

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 last question Randy!

I looked @ ur article, and think I'm correct - but there (shouldn't!) be any issue if indeed there is excessive strontium in the tank, correct?
I am indeed using the salifert test kit (which I can see there is a lot of room for error), but it came out 0-3.

After dosing all 28ml of ESV and waiting a few days, I'm still at 0 / 0-3.
Just dosed another 28, and I will retest tonight, and again in a few days.

I recall reading in another members thread that it took some time for their tank to 'buffer' (excuse my ignorance if this theory doesn't exists) before they got readings of 10ppm they were going for.

Since my system was consuming 70ml 2 part until it stabilized (after swapping sand), and now it is using 20ml - is there a chance it needs to go through the same thing w/ stontium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 last question Randy!

I looked @ ur article, and think I'm correct - but there (shouldn't!) be any issue if indeed there is excessive strontium in the tank, correct?
I am indeed using the salifert test kit (which I can see there is a lot of room for error), but it came out 0-3.

After dosing all 28ml of ESV and waiting a few days, I'm still at 0 / 0-3.
Just dosed another 28, and I will retest tonight, and again in a few days.

I recall reading in another members thread that it took some time for their tank to 'buffer' (excuse my ignorance if this theory doesn't exists) before they got readings of 10ppm they were going for.

Since my system was consuming 70ml 2 part until it stabilized (after swapping sand), and now it is using 20ml - is there a chance it needs to go through the same thing w/ stontium?

Strontium does appear to be able to bind to calcium carbonate surfaces in place of calcium and thereby slow ongoing precipitation of calcium carbonate (the science literature reports this). So the delay reported might be strontium binding to exposed rock and sand surfaces.

Certainly, the ongoing precipitation of calcium carbonate (by corals or abiotic) will consume strontium, and anything that changes the rate of deposition of calcium carbonate will change the consumption rate of strontium.

I'm not aware of any issue from slight excesses of strontium, but at some high concentration, I'd expect bad things to happen. I just do not know what level that is. :D

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strontium does appear to be able to bind to calcium carbonate surfaces in place of calcium and thereby slow ongoing precipitation of calcium carbonate (the science literature reports this). So the delay reported might be strontium binding to exposed rock and sand surfaces.

Certainly, the ongoing precipitation of calcium carbonate (by corals or abiotic) will consume strontium, and anything that changes the rate of deposition of calcium carbonate will change the consumption rate of strontium.

I'm not aware of any issue from slight excesses of strontium, but at some high concentration, I'd expect bad things to happen. I just do not know what level that is. :D
Thanks!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use esv strontium? Is there any trace strontium in esv’s cal or mag solutions? I’ve never tested for it and I don’t do frequent water changes. I do supplement trace elements with Red Sea.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back