Eunice worm attacking BTA?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very small green BTA (quarter size) that hasn't been happy. Lots of potential reasons for this, but this post is about what I observed last night at lights out with a dim red flashlight:

Eunice worm draped over the BTA. Didn't seem bothered at all by the BTA tentacles. Couldn't get a clear top view of the BTA or see what the head was doing, but it looked like tugging action from the Eunice worm, and the BTA was not happy either (pinching a bit in the middle). After retracting, the Eunice went towards the BTA multiple times, but I couldn't see clearly what it was doing, and it had taken notice of me anyways and stayed close to it's hole.

Does anyone know if Eunice worms chew on nems?

If this is happening at night, no wonder my BTA is worse for wear!

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know from personal experience that they eat zoas. And they grow big. The one in my 150g was 4 ft long before I got it out.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many species of eunicids, in many different sizes, which eat everything from detritus, to corals, to fish. I used to have some little 3-4", very slender ones, that never touched any coral. Other people get big ones that mostly leave everything alone, or big ones that eat coral. Bobbit worms don't get imported any more, but back when they did, eeevery now and then someone would get a fish-eater.

It's entirely possible that it's trying to eat the nem. Remove it. If it's a cool-looking one, maybe sump it. If not, humanely euthanize with clove oil. It's not the worm's fault you don't want it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back