Euphyllia- can LFS stores possibly horde more

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drove an hour and a half to my favorite reef store. This is a big pet store thats been running for decades and has a massive reef dept full of over grown tanks, well maintained, and savy staff. Their zoa/paly tank is a massive shallow display where they keep a grow out side and frag side. Smart people. I literally could not count the number of tanks they have just housing corals. They have so many they dont have the staff to label the stuff for sale.

This place had enough Euphyllia to repopulate the Indian Ocean in the event of an asteroid strike. I saw at least a dozen of fat and healthy hammers the size of footballs and with polyps the size of your thumb. Half their Euphyllia wasnt even priced because they have so much and it's actually grown too big to cut and frag.

Yet their prices are still > $50 per head for generic hammers, froggies and torches. I'm seeing this in many reef shops and frag meets. Wall to Wall Euphyllia everywhere and yet prices are what I consider dont justify demand. Friend of mine runs a little local reef shop and can't give away the stuff because it grows faster than he can frag it.

High end corals command high prices. Supply and demand. That's cool. I dig a market economy. Euphyllia however seems to be everywhere with stores having it climbing out of their tanks and yet prices seem pretty pricey. Thoughts?

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I can pull up offer up right now and buy any high end torch within 20 miles of my house but somehow they are still insanely expensive even though everyone has them

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamonds are the same way. It is what it is.

It’s also worth noting that the store has a ton of overhead to run those grow out tanks, and it’s not like they can afford to give their corals away!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is because clearly, people are still buying at that price. Basic economics says that the current equilibrium price is $50 a head because that's the price that most buyers and sellers have agreed to pay. Hopefully we're in for a market correction soon LOL

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is because clearly, people are still buying at that price. Basic economics says that the current equilibrium price is $50 a head because that's the price that most buyers and sellers have agreed to pay. Hopefully we're in for a market correction soon LOL
All we need to do is go on coral strike! But the colors are so pretty....

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all started when the the indo pacific got shut down. Before the shutdown most euphyllia was $10 to $20 bucks a head. When indo got shut down euphyllia prices got insane(upwards of $100 a head). Now that indo is back open, the market has gotten used to the high price, and your seeing the prices "come down" a bit, but still overpriced IMO.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all started when the the indo pacific got shut down. Before the shutdown most euphyllia was $10 to $20 bucks a head. When indo got shut down euphyllia prices got insane(upwards of $100 a head). Now that indo is back open, the market has gotten used to the high price, and your seeing the prices "come down" a bit, but still overpriced IMO.
I wasn't aware that their market opened back up. How long ago did it open?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year ago.

I believe(don't quote me here), that mariculture is open, but they cannot just go out to the reef and rip corals off the reef to resell.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back