Euphyllia Corals Receding Tissue

bigc9731

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this hammer coral for a couple months now (started off as 1 head and now its two, splitting into 3) and just got the torch about 2-3 weeks ago. I noticed today the tissue has started receding on both of these corals and the torch has like a bubble on the bottom of it.... I also have a frammer in the tank that seems to be doing pretty well but Im not sure what is wrong with these two. All other corals seem to be doing great.

Anyone have ideas? Im still fairly new to saltwater (this tank is around month 9) so I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

IMG_4193.jpg IMG_4191.jpg IMG_4190.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please list current parameters and lighting being used.

OP
OP
B

bigc9731

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params have been consistent.

Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 78
Alk: 8.5 dkh
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Calcium: 440 ppm
Phosphate: 0.09 ppm
Magnesium: 1550 ppm

For a light, I have an AI prime 16hd. Its a nano tank (biocube 32 gallon)

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what settings are you running on the prime? in the 2nd and 3rd picture it looks like the coral is bleaching which indicates too much light.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had this hammer coral for a couple months now (started off as 1 head and now its two, splitting into 3) and just got the torch about 2-3 weeks ago. I noticed today the tissue has started receding on both of these corals and the torch has like a bubble on the bottom of it.... I also have a frammer in the tank that seems to be doing pretty well but Im not sure what is wrong with these two. All other corals seem to be doing great.

Anyone have ideas? Im still fairly new to saltwater (this tank is around month 9) so I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

IMG_4193.jpg IMG_4191.jpg IMG_4190.jpg
Receeding they are and due to stress. Stress caused by insufficient calcium or water flow issue.
Euphyllia requires Stable tank conditions, and is intolerant to major swings in water quality, and is sensitive to almost any level of copper in the water. Since they are a large polyp stony coral, calcium and alkalinity are two very important water parameters that will affect the growth of your coral. This coral will start to die off if the calcium levels are too low. A calcium level of about 400 ppm is just right.
This coral species isn’t terribly picky when it comes to the proper placement in your tank. The trick would really be just to avoid the extremes. Avoid extremely bright locations or areas of very high current, and avoid areas that are too dark or with currents that are too low. Fast currents risk damaging the soft, fleshy polyps (and getting an infection). Bright lights will cause bleaching. Insufficient lighting will cause the poor coral to wither away and starve to death.
They require a moderate amount of light for photosynthesis and can grow well in the intermediate regions of your tank. Just about any reef LED lighting should be sufficient for most tanks. Reduce white light intensity and get it off the sand bed which sand can irritate it.
The polyps should sway in the current, but not sustain so much pressure they are constantly bent over their skeleton. Too much flow will tear the polyps (worst case) and cause the polyps do not extend in the first place (best case). So, don’t give them too much flow.

OP
OP
B

bigc9731

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the helpful info so far. I had another wavemaker on the right side of the tank which I took out yesterday. Heres a video of the tank today with only the one wavemaker; I think the flow looks ok. What do you guys think?

I also lowered the light intensity of the primes to see if that will help. I guess I'
ll monitor over the next few days and see how things do. I also noticed my duncan and frammer were smaller today than they normally are as well....

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back