Euphyllia dropping single polyps?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few large hammer colonies and for the past week ive seen a few random single polyps/tentacles floating in the water column. I immediately started worrying id be losing one of my colonies so i went and checked each one over, blowing them with a turkey baster to see if i could find any loose heads and nothing. They all appear perfectly healthy even the tiny heads in the shade arent showing any skeleton. I have no idea where theyre coming from and they continue to show up randomly. No fish or inverts have been added in the last year, none have ever been caught nipping either so i dont think they were ripped off.

Is this some form of propagation? I do see 2 that have clung to a surface for the past 2 days. Im just really thrown off by this cause ive had the colonies theyre coming from for something like 6 years and theyve never done this before. Only times ive seen anything similar is during polyp bailout but that usually drops a full head and is very noticeable on the coral.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frogspawn that did cross-tank attacks by sending out stingers that were shaped so they would catch the water flow and twist. They would keep twisting to the point it would tie off like a balloon and then break off, floating around the tank until it hits another coral or gets stuck somewhere

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frogspawn that did cross-tank attacks by sending out stingers that were shaped so they would catch the water flow and twist. They would keep twisting to the point it would tie off like a balloon and then break off, floating around the tank until it hits another coral or gets stuck somewhere
That's crazy haha my green hammers which are the ones in question hardly ever put out sweepers. My blue wall hammer wont let anything near it though

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back