rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi, I’ve noticed that most of my euphyllia have receded flesh from the bottom (hammers, torches), but they opened fine during the day (maybe slightly retracted but unnoticeable). The only issue I’m seeing is 0 phosphate. I’ve tested twice, Last Friday and today with Hanna phosphate URL.

Here’s my water parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 5 (it was 0.5 two weeks ago, and went all the way up to 5 by excessive feeding)
Phosphate: 0.00 (it was 0.08 last week by excessive feeding but suddenly dropped to 0)
Calcium: 400
Alk: 7.7
Mag: 1320
PH: 8.2

Will 0 phosphate cause the flesh to recede? How can I raise the phosphate without raising the Nitrate too much (it’s already 5)? Also curious on what can cause the phosphate to drop from 0.08 to 0.00 in one week without dropping the Nitrate. There’s a refugium in the sump but no reactors

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, please post pics of the receding corals, and also a full tank pic. Turn the blues off and the whites up for a clear picture.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If possible, please post pics of the receding corals, and also a full tank pic. Turn the blues off and the whites up for a clear picture.
Here’s the pictures:
IMG_4656.jpeg
IMG_4654.jpeg
IMG_4655.jpeg
IMG_4658.jpeg
IMG_4643.jpeg

I don’t have one with white light on, but I can take one later today. And as mentioned above, everything opens fine during the day

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You need to get your nitrates and phosphates up i keep my nitrate at 40 and phosphates at .25 also your calcium. Alk and mag are all to low
Unfortunately, it’s a mix reef tank, and I’m trying to keep phosphate under 0.1. I will try increasing the feeding to raise nitrate and phosphate. For Alk and Mag, I’m still turning my doser to get the right dosage

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect 0 phosphate is at least a big part of the problem. I know you are trying to raise them. Although your magnesium is in an acceptable amount, euphyllia seem to thrive at 1400 and above.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it’s a mix reef tank, and I’m trying to keep phosphate under 0.1. I will try increasing the feeding to raise nitrate and phosphate. For Alk and Mag, I’m still turning my doser to get the right dosage
Most corals should have no issues with higher levels, as long as they're consistent. In your case I would just make sure that nutrients aren't bottoming out, and alk, calc, and mag are staying pretty steady.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would suspect 0 phosphate is at least a big part of the problem. I know you are trying to raise them. Although your magnesium is in an acceptable amount, euphyllia seem to thrive at 1400 and above.
Good to know. I was targeting 1300 for Mag before. Will try to keep it in 1400-1500 in the future.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem with keeping it at 0.01, is you have no room at all, for error. plus, I can tell you from experience....Mine are at 0.27 po4 and .036 no3. My hammers are going stupid! I have to move them, as they've grown so much, that they're smashing into the glass now. they're huge! Do not starve them, by keeping those 2 so low. You'll do yourself a favor

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Most corals should have no issues with higher levels, as long as they're consistent. In your case I would just make sure that nutrients aren't bottoming out, and alk, calc, and mag are staying pretty steady.
Thank you! I will try trim the cheato and increase feeding. Do you think that’s enough or should I consider dosing phosphate?

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
the problem with keeping it at 0.01, is you have no room at all, for error. plus, I can tell you from experience....Mine are at 0.27 po4 and .036 no3. My hammers are going stupid! I have to move them, as they've grown so much, that they're smashing into the glass now. they're huge! Do not starve them, by keeping those 2 so low. You'll do yourself a favor
You probably misread my post, I’m trying to keep phosphate under 0.1, maybe around 0.05, never think of 0.01

Hammer grows crazy before (from 2 to 6 heads in 3 months)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, I’ve noticed that most of my euphyllia have receded flesh from the bottom (hammers, torches), but they opened fine during the day (maybe slightly retracted but unnoticeable). The only issue I’m seeing is 0 phosphate. I’ve tested twice, Last Friday and today with Hanna phosphate URL.

Here’s my water parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 5 (it was 0.5 two weeks ago, and went all the way up to 5 by excessive feeding)
Phosphate: 0.00 (it was 0.08 last week by excessive feeding but suddenly dropped to 0)
Calcium: 400
Alk: 7.7
Mag: 1320
PH: 8.2

Will 0 phosphate cause the flesh to recede? How can I raise the phosphate without raising the Nitrate too much (it’s already 5)? Also curious on what can cause the phosphate to drop from 0.08 to 0.00 in one week without dropping the Nitrate. There’s a refugium in the sump but no reactors
I agree on low nutrients. In addition, the calcium level while acceptable should be increased as the skeleton is showing some loss of tissue. Assure not too much flow which causes stress to them. feed mysis shrimp in lieu of powdered foods and tank looks great overall. While these coral are not picky as to location, they do best at lower half of tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back