Eurobraces and addressing shadows, wires, bottom support, etc

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am considering a custom tank from planet aquarium, and they suggested a two-layered perimeter-only eurobrace with no top or bottom trim. I wondered if anyone else has had something like this done and had any feedback or photos?

The dimensions will be 180G 72"x24"x24" with a 2.5" eurobrace.

Some of my concerns just fall on managing wires, any shadows with having an essentially all black eurobrace, or anything like that. First time having a eurobrace tank.

The tank essentially being rimless on the bottom, I also wonder about any foam support that might be recommended. The tank will be fully supported from the bottom and sit on a 3/8" HDPE sheet, at a minimum.

1704343308652.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shadows shouldn't be an issue unless your fixtures are mounted so high that light is spilling over the edge before the light hits the water. Cord management is a good question, you could go with votech pumps to avoid this otherwise I'm not sure what eurobrace owners do other than deal with slightly messy cords going into the tank for internal wired pumps.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a custom glass top on my Euro Braced Glass Aquarium. The wires go around the Brace and Back Strips. The Jebao Wave pump wire is thin enough, it doesn’t cast a Shadow off of my LED Strips, or my DIY Flood LED. The Ground Probe and Thermometer Wires are in my internal overflow. No problem routing the wires around the Brace, and ABS Cover.

OP
OP
Martingale

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So the eurobrace would be blacked out from the silicone for 3" all around of the 72"x24" open top.
This video screencap showcases the same design, actually.

Their rimless design still includes a bottom PVC trim piece, but doing a perimeter eurobrace like so they said the bottom trim isn't needed. Trying to weigh the options.

1704388397661.png

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the eurobrace would be blacked out from the silicone for 3" all around of the 72"x24" open top.
This video screencap showcases the same design, actually.

Their rimless design still includes a bottom PVC trim piece, but doing a perimeter eurobrace like so they said the bottom trim isn't needed. Trying to weigh the options.

1704388397661.png
That almost looks like a rimmed tank with glass glued to the plastic brace. I thought euro bracing was all glass but I've only seen pictures of competed tanks so maybe this is how all euro bracing is done? Or is the plastic just a support for the glass bracing until it cures? Just curious as I am in the process of designing a new tank so trying to ask questions and learn to help avoid surprises.

OP
OP
Martingale

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That almost looks like a rimmed tank with glass glued to the plastic brace. I thought euro bracing was all glass but I've only seen pictures of competed tanks so maybe this is how all euro bracing is done? Or is the plastic just a support for the glass bracing until it cures? Just curious as I am in the process of designing a new tank so trying to ask questions and learn to help avoid surprises.
My tank wouldn't have the plastic rim that one has, it would just have the perimeter euro brace. The euro brace is black since it is two pieces of glass sandwiched with black silicone. It leaves a small lip for a screen lid. I agree, it is similar in look to a rimmed tank but just doesn't have the plastic. I personally just hate how the plastic gets worn over time.

A 180 Mega Matrix with cross braces is where I started, but I didn't really like the cross bracing or the plastic trim. Then their rimless versions still keep the bottom plastic trim. This custom version is what they recommended to avoid both.

I can get a custom tank from planet aquariums without paying any shipping, so it's rather hard to beat for the price when it comes to choosing them to be the builder.

1704389758453.jpeg

1704389695036.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Martingale

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Agreed. The glass looks much nicer IMO and I have some plastic rims that are cracked
Yeah it's a big tank to do rimless on so I don't blame them for advising to keep the bottom trim, but I think I'll regret having any of the plastic on down the road.

They actually advised not using neoprene or anything under the tank when having no plastic trim, and also don't seem to advise it for their crystalline series which is their true rimless line.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back