Evaporation and RODI systems

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 20g peninsula and the evaporation seems crazy to me but maybe I am just new. Right now it seems to suck out around a litre of water every 12 hours or so. Is that normal? I am about to set up my ato but I am worried about my method of water now. I was using RODI water from the LFS but it is pretty far and then going to used distilled water for top-offs. At the rate that I am losing water to evaporation I feel like I am going to just end up having to purchase my own RODI system.

My questions:
1. Is that much water loss to evaporation normal for my tank?
2. How can I reduce evaporation?
3. Is Aquatic Life's Buddie system a good RODI unit as some of the other ones are very expensive in my area?
4. How often do you have to change the cartridges on these systems? (Based on your experience and not what the manufacturers recommend).

Thanks!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1-4% daily is a normal range
A lid on the tank can reduce evaporation
I do not like them since they require proprietary filters but many people use them.
That will all depend on the quality of your source water

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, our hospital tank is around 40 gallons, has a filtration (hang-on) system with a plastic lid, and the tank has a glass lid. The evaporation is just about zero. Our 50-gallon system has a mesh top and the sump is open, most of it, and we use about 5 gallons per week. Our large system, around 200 gallons with the same setup as the 50-gallon, used about 10 gallons every 4-5 days. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1-4% daily is a normal range
A lid on the tank can reduce evaporation
I do not like them since they require proprietary filters but many people use them.
That will all depend on the quality of your source water
What RODI system would you recommend?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
evaporation depends on so many things, and evap rate even changes throughout the year. An auto-top off system will be a lifesaver, or else your stuck manually topping off, it means you cant even go away for a weekend. Its one of the best pieces of equipment you can get for your tank.

I have RO buddie, I've used my current one for 2 years now. I replace the DI cartridges usually about every 4 months, and the other filters usually around 7-8 months, but it depends on how much water you run through it

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, our hospital tank is around 40 gallons, has a filtration (hang-on) system with a plastic lid, and the tank has a glass lid. The evaporation is just about zero. Our 50-gallon system has a mesh top and the sump is open, most of it, and we use about 5 gallons per week. Our large system, around 200 gallons with the same setup as the 50-gallon, used about 10 gallons every 4-5 days. Hope this helps.
Would you recommend glass lids? I heard it can disrupt the light for the corals and cause issues

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
evaporation depends on so many things, and evap rate even changes throughout the year. An auto-top off system will be a lifesaver, or else your stuck manually topping off, it means you cant even go away for a weekend. Its one of the best pieces of equipment you can get for your tank.

I have RO buddie, I've used my current one for 2 years now. I replace the DI cartridges usually about every 4 months, and the other filters usually around 7-8 months, but it depends on how much water you run through it
I am setting up my ato system tomorrow. I'm more worried about the most cost efficient source of water since my original plan is not going too great haha. How much water are you running through yours? Tank size?

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@katsreef Yes either a lid or an RODI kit will work just fine. Depending on your equipment used will determine which will be better. Glass lids work well but can't be modified too much to go around equipment like light mounts. Plastic lids usually bow up at the corners after a while which allows evaporation to escape again. The mesh screens work for jumping fish but won't fix your evaporation issue. We do solid lids for clients like the below to counter this but there's a few ways to handle it.

If you'd like to keep the tank open like @LordofCinder RODI system is your best bet. Really a personal preference for each hobbyist. Hope this helps

Screenshot_20220930_085837_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20220930_085816_Drive.jpg

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @katsreef how i it going?

About the evaporation control it can be different in every tank, because of the temperature, the tank itself (if is it cover or not) and the system you are using, all of them can affect it. The main and most effective way to cut the evaporation is with a lid on the top of it. But, if you cut the evaporation with a solid cover, you can probably get some other problems that usually people wants to avoid like salt creep, and gas exchanging. The best lid option for that would be any solid piece, with some vents on the side or in the center.

Have you tried a lid to reduce evaporation already?

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @katsreef how i it going?

About the evaporation control it can be different in every tank, because of the temperature, the tank itself (if is it cover or not) and the system you are using, all of them can affect it. The main and most effective way to cut the evaporation is with a lid on the top of it. But, if you cut the evaporation with a solid cover, you can probably get some other problems that usually people wants to avoid like salt creep, and gas exchanging. The best lid option for that would be any solid piece, with some vents on the side or in the center.

Have you tried a lid to reduce evaporation already?
I have a mesh lid currently. I was thinking of cutting glass to do a lid with an open spot to drop food in like this:

I would leave the AIO chambers open in the back as well. Would that do a decent job? The picture is a reefbuilder tank btw

Attachments

• 11E43A1F-2AA8-42D4-80F4-0B3F341A384F.jpeg
    11E43A1F-2AA8-42D4-80F4-0B3F341A384F.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 16

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back