Evaporation question for 60g cube

WiscoFishNut

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm working on setting up a standard 60g cube with a FijiCube 20 sump and I'm trying to figure out what amount of evaporation I can expect daily.

The reason I'm concerned is the lack of space I'll have in the Marineland Ventura cabinet. I would like to position the sump lengthwise for easier access to the important pieces(socks & fuge), but that basically cuts the room I have for an ATO reservoir in half. If I go with the preferred positioning I'll only be able to fit a 2.2g reservoir. If I go with the narrow positioning I can squeeze in a 5g. I don't mind refilling the ATO every other day, and if I go on vacation I can always stick a big rubbermaid tote next to the stand and use that for a supply since nobody will be around to see it anyway.

Thoughts?

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a 60g with a 7.5g nano plumbed in, both have screen tops. I have a large sump that is probably about 18"×22" also open top. The system is serviced by a 5g ATO reservoir.

In the dry winter months I get about 3-4 days, and in the humid summer it's close to 6 days before I need to refill the reservoir.

OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm the same about 1/2 to a gallon a day.
How much room do you have left over?
The inside of the stand has 22.88 inches to work with length wise. The FijiCube sump will take up 20 inches if I position it length wise, or 15 inches if I go the narrow direction. Leaves enough room for the 2.2g ATO reservoir from FijiCube. The other option I'm considering is drilling a hole thru the wall behind the stand and putting a bigger reservoir in the closet behind it lol. Would have to do that when the wife wasn't home tho lol

Which tank do you think is more functional for a family? (click to see photos)

• A. Fireplace Tank

Votes: 38 22.9%
  • B. Stair Tank

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • C. Bed Tank

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • D. Table Tank

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • E. Cabinet Tank

Votes: 92 55.4%

Online statistics

Members online