Even rocks deserve another chance! Would you reuse old reef rock in your saltwater tank?

Would you reuse old reef rock in your saltwater tank?

• I have successfully reused reef rock.

Votes: 237 69.5%
  • I haven't, but I think you can reuse reef rock.

Votes: 83 24.3%
  • You can, but it isn’t worth the bother to reuse reef rock.

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • I would not recommend reusing reef rock.

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My landscape beds are full of old rock. It usually ends up out there for a reason. The last few that went out were absolutely full of aiptasia. I mean hundreds and hundreds. I lost the battle but won the war. I have enough stuff laying around without adding buckets of old rock to it. I honestly just don't have the time or the energy to baste rocks or keep an active rock farm until the day comes I may use them. Y'all are definitely the exception. I say that because I can't give the stuff away where I'm at. For the same reasons mentioned above. Nobody wants to mess with it or take a chance of potential pests that could find their into their systems.With that being said. If there is a particular rock that has a distinct shape or cave or something like that I'll set it aside for later use otherwise to the landscaping they go.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it depends on the history and composition of the rock. If it had been in a tank dosed with copper, then no. If it was manufactured rock, or smooth heavy base rock, typically no. If it is premium branching natural live rock - for sure!

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curious - since the new common wisdom is that 'dry rock' is much more difficult to use than 'live rock' - presumable due to lack of a biome, etc, doesn't it seem counterintuitive to bleach and acid wash rock to kill all the life?

When I re-used old rock for something - I scrubbed an rinsed - so as not to kill everything on it. Just goes to show that apparently there is no clear best way to do something?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having dealt with vermited snails - a heck no option doesn't exist.
No vermited snails on properly sterilized old live rock. And its VERY easy to sterilize old live rock.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious - since the new common wisdom is that 'dry rock' is much more difficult to use than 'live rock' - presumable due to lack of a biome, etc, doesn't it seem counterintuitive to bleach and acid wash rock to kill all the life?

When I re-used old rock for something - I scrubbed an rinsed - so as not to kill everything on it. Just goes to show that apparently there is no clear best way to do something?
I would not call that the "new common wisdom" just BRS current recommendations. Give it a few years and it will change again.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it depends on the history and composition of the rock. If it had been in a tank dosed with copper, then no. If it was manufactured rock, or smooth heavy base rock, typically no. If it is premium branching natural live rock - for sure!

Jay
This would be about the only reason I would not reuse old rock. But you can find out if it has been soaking in copper by throwing the rock in a brute tub of water for a week and then check for copper leached out of the rock into the water. I admit I did not think about this when I purchased used live rock in the past. But easy to test before you add the bleach to the water. If it has copper then you know to only use the rock in QT/HT or remove the copper from the rock.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be about the only reason I would not reuse old rock. But you can find out if it has been soaking in copper by throwing the rock in a brute tub of water for a week and then check for copper leached out of the rock into the water. I admit I did not think about this when I purchased used live rock in the past. But easy to test before you add the bleach to the water. If it has copper then you know to only use the rock in QT/HT or remove the copper from the rock.

You should drop the pH of the water soak to ensure that some copper leeches out....at a high pH it may stay bound in the rock.

Jay

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should drop the pH of the water soak to ensure that some copper leeches out....at a high pH it may stay bound in the rock.

Jay
Good call I will try to remember that. But I doubt I will need to buy any used live rock anytime soon, but I will try to remember that if I do. I sure did not think about it when I bought the used rock for my big 220.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can always recede old bleached rock in the sump.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not call that the "new common wisdom" just BRS current recommendations. Give it a few years and it will change again.
OK - let's call it the new 'algorithm' for setting up a tank to avoid the 'ugly stage and increase biodiversity'. Note - I do not believe this is the case - which is why I said something like 'there are many ways to set up a reef tank'.

I have also heard that there is a disadvantage to acid washing a rock (the reason people do it is to release PO4) - but it also can dissolve up to 1/3 or the actual rock. @Jay Hemdal - would acid washing be helpful to remove copper as well?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not mater where the rock comes from once it gets bleached its no longer any different from any other rock. Nothing that made it "Fiji" etc will remain once it has its bleach bath.
Speaking to getting that type of rock formation. All know bleach kills off the bacterial population and perhaps taken into account before assuming one meant to actually obtain same as procured originally from those places :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can always recede old bleached in the sump.
Correct - It has long been my 'feeling' that the only difference between live rock vs dead rock vis a vis success is 3 months underwater. (PS when I'm talking about live rock = rock from the ocean or from a long-established tank)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - let's call it the new 'algorithm' for setting up a tank to avoid the 'ugly stage and increase biodiversity'. Note - I do not believe this is the case - which is why I said something like 'there are many ways to set up a reef tank'.

I have also heard that there is a disadvantage to acid washing a rock (the reason people do it is to release PO4) - but it also can dissolve up to 1/3 or the actual rock. @Jay Hemdal - would acid washing be helpful to remove copper as well?
Yes, the longer you leave The Rock in the bath the more Rock will dissolve.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you can get the exact same porous material without getting it from Fiji. You can get it from anywhere in any of this world's oceans. Aragonite from the FL gulf is just as porous as Aragonite from Fiji.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it will not remove Copper from the rocks. Also bleach wash does not break down the aragonite rock.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you can get the exact same porous material without getting it from Fiji. You can get it from anywhere in any of this world's oceans. Aragonite from the FL gulf is just as porous as Aragonite from Fiji.
GOM rock not same formation as Tonga or Fiji and none as light or porous as Pukani. It's not just rock. They are physically different and really depends on what each seeking to do.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By the way - I only mentioned the comments I did - is that in another thread there was a 'concept/idea' that 'live rock' that was bleached, as long as it stayed 'wet' was still 'live rock'. Second, the idea that rock that has been dry in a tub for months is the equivalent to wet live rock. I do not believe either of these ideas are correct

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back