Every time I stare at my tank I find problems...

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, right after using aptasia x to kill a mojavo anemone, I was looking around my rocks to see if any other pests are around and I found this alien looking huge green ball...

Is this my first bubble algae? and should I get rid of it before it explodes and my tank fills with them? Sorry im a aquarist newbie trying to do my best.

Any help will be appreciated

C360_2012-07-17-18-35-59.jpg
C360_2012-07-17-18-35-17.jpg

OP
OP
Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True Steelerfan, so is this the obvious bubble algae and how is the best way to remove it without it busting? I only have one in my tank.

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove it from the rock by hand. The bubble is pretty hard, so as long as you pull it off with out squeezing you will be fine. Bubble algae is slowing growing so no need to fret.

OP
OP
Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kole Tang, that loves to eat stuff off the rocks, this is the first bubble algae ive seen in my new 2 month old tank, I removed it with my finger (intact) and threw it away, hopefully it didn't release any spores

OP
OP
Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, its so frustrating, all my parameters are fine yet I have gotten cyano, hair algae, mojavo anemone (2), and now this huge bowling bowl bubble algae. The more I try to keep everything perfect the more issues are popping up.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs will not eat bubble algae IMO. Emerald crabs are the only thing I've ever heard of that will eat it. I'm not really even convinced Emeralds eat it but maybe remove it to get some algae underneath it. It's just a skin with juice inside so I can't see how it's edible. I remove mine by hand. It breaks off easily one ball at a time. They say don't break the bubble but I've done it several times and my tank hasn't become infested yet but still, try not to break the bubble. :)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, its so frustrating, all my parameters are fine yet I have gotten cyano, hair algae, mojavo anemone (2), and now this huge bowling bowl bubble algae. The more I try to keep everything perfect the more issues are popping up.

If you can twist the bubble algae they will come off whole. They also bounce!

Chaetomorpha, one of the best lessons i learned from my parent's keeping a fish tank was that their tank always looked amazing/had amazing growth with minimal (and i mean almost no water changing) intervention from them. Not saying that you should be like them at all (seriously they never changed the water...amazing to me), but sometimes we can all get very caught up in "cleaning" our tanks...

Your concerns already makes me believe your tank is most likely in great condition. :)

OP
OP
Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can twist the bubble algae they will come off whole. They also bounce!

Chaetomorpha, one of the best lessons i learned from my parent's keeping a fish tank was that their tank always looked amazing/had amazing growth with minimal (and i mean almost no water changing) intervention from them. Not saying that you should be like them at all (seriously they never changed the water...amazing to me), but sometimes we can all get very caught up in "cleaning" our tanks...

Your concerns already makes me believe your tank is most likely in great condition. :)
Thank you for the compliment and the advice. Ya I think I over do it with trying to get everything perfect. Maybe I need to step back and let the tank take care of itself a little, that is why I have a refugium with miracle mud and chaeto in the first place... Ill wait a week before my next water change thats all I can promise :)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I knew your tank would be set up well...
My friend is thinking of setting up a 60g with miracle mud, any thoughts on its use or opinion on the stuff?

OP
OP
Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I knew your tank would be set up well...
My friend is thinking of setting up a 60g with miracle mud, any thoughts on its use or opinion on the stuff?

Personally I like it, plenty of copepods and other critters in my refugium and the tank and fish are doing awesome, my parameters have been stable almost from day one and I know a lot of that is because of my refugium and the chaeto/miracle mud. So I recommend it.

Here is a video that shows my tank and refugium during the fishless cycle, its less then 2 minutes so feel free to watch it

[video=youtube;WYaySIKJNro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYaySIKJNro[/video]

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back