Everyone has done it right?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TITLE WAS SUPPOSED TO SAY: EVERYONE HAS DONE IT RIGHT?

Was filling up the RODI bucket when the wife came home and wanted to go out for her bday dinner. Realized on the ride home 3 1/2 hours later that someone never turned off the water. Luckily the water stayed mostly in the unfinished area of the basement and we already had to rip out the carpet from the living room down here since my wife thought the flushable wipes were actually flushable. It’s not fun having the moment.

Would be nice if the company I bought my RODI unit from could figure out why my auto shut off valve isn’t working and I could use the floats that I purchased for this very reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TITLE WAS SUPPOSED TO SAY: EVERYONE HAS DONE IT RIGHT?

Was filling up the RODI bucket when the wife came home and wanted to go out for her bday dinner. Realized on the ride home 3 1/2 hours later that someone never turned off the water. Luckily the water stayed mostly in the unfinished area of the basement and we already had to rip out the carpet from the living room down here since my wife thought the flushable wipes were actually flushable. It’s not fun having the “oh sh**” moment.

Would be nice if the company I bought my RODI unit from could figure out why my auto shut off valve isn’t working and I could use the floats that I purchased for this very reason.
I've flooded my kitchen twice before I was told to find a solution or the tank goes. I bought a complete auto shut off valve kit and so far it's done good by me :) but I feel your pain. I get reminded every time I walk through my kitchen from the laminate boards curling up on the edges

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my RODI right next to my sump pump in the unfinished section of the basement, so it’s like a built in floor drain. I can’t remember how many times I’ve left that RODI running and forgot about it. So now I never turn it on without setting an alarm on my phone.

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've flooded my kitchen twice before I was told to find a solution or the tank goes. I bought a complete auto shut off valve kit and so far it's done good by me :) but I feel your pain. I get reminded every time I walk through my kitchen from the laminate boards curling up on the edges

It’s supposed to work that way. Hoping they will just send me a whole new unit at this point.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I routinely refill fifteen 1 gallon jugs and have forgotten that I was doing such. There’s so much going on at home that I sometimes get distracted and then it hits me!!!!

It’s like being electrocuted. My body jolts as it catches up to what my mind has just realized and I rush to the RODI unit.

I’ve learned to fill the jugs within a sink and to set a timer for redundancy.

I’m a pretty composed guy that keeps his cool even under demoralizing situations BUT......something about spilling RODI water due to my complacency ALWAYS freaking annoys me.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8F39EB73-EA8D-47FC-BB9C-63E812EB2B8F.jpeg

I have a pan ran to a floor drain incase anything goes wild:) just an idea

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will only admit doing it twice if someone can promise my wife will never see this post, lots of water. Honey, if you do see this post I was kidding. I seen your new puppy downstairs and there is a big wet spot. :D

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in the garage. Before I installed the auto shutoff I forgot many times. While it makes a mess: soaks the work bench the brute can sits on, soaks up my 8’x10’ weight rack/deadlift platform made of plywood, and creates a ton of humidity in the garage in the summer months, at least the wife remains blissfully unaware and it will dry up without permanently damaging anything. The shutoff works like a dream though and I can even fall asleep at night comfortably if I left it on from earlier

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we all have been there at some point...that said i always set a timer on my phone for less than is needed and only filter while I am home. i still have flooded a gallon or 2 by thinking i set a timer and did not.

I am thinking about my apex unit to control this, plump my RODI unit to my ATO res. with a cpl sensors low and high and float switch for back up and a solenoid to control it then for extra peace of mind a leak detector..

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fill mine on top of the washer that was if it over fills it will go into the washer and all I have to is run a drain and spin cycle to get rid of the water. And I have had to do that a few times.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to freak everybody out, but long long long time ago a reefer I knew from one of the forms had his RO/DI pressurized, but turned off. One of the fittings cracked and shot water on to his outlets while he was on vacation with his wife. No GFCI. Fire ensued and burnt half his house down!

Using GFCI is a must around any water! This includes RO/DI's.

I do keep pressure on my membrane by shutting my waste line off using a brass valve first and then closing the water line coming into the unit. Why keep pressure on the membrane, keeps it from drying out.

Using a auto shut off valve is nice and when they work, they can keep a flood from happening, but not if there's pressure still supplied to the unit. Very slim chance.

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was the only one, I've been waiting on the bathroom rug to dry out for days, lol.

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there...done that . Goes with the territory i guess! Soooooooooo much water.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back