RODI Filter Location

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering where everyone puts there RODI system. My new house doesn't have any drains in the basement so I will have to install mine upstairs in a closet next to the laundry and put a laundry sink in the closet for waste water. Then I will need to run about 50' of hose to the basement where I want to set up my mix station. My plan is to put 3 forms or redundency on it since I have no floor drains in the basement. First ill put the mix station in a pan, the mix station will also have a shut off float and if all else fails im going to install one of those valves you put on the floor and if it gets wet it snaps shut and turn off the rodi supply.

Has anyone else done something like this? Installed the filter upstairs and ran the water to the basement?

Trying to get some other ideas on how I could do it, the last thing I want is a flooded basement.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant add a drain in the basement?
I'd have to put in a sewage ejection pump with a sealed crock. I'm on a septic and the basement is lower than the inlet on the tanks. So I could but for the price to get an ejection pump installed I was hoping I could find a more cost-effective way.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what I might do is install a drain in the floor in the small closet and put down a shower pan like you would for a tile shower. I might be able to find some containers that will fit in the closet for RODI/Saltwater containers. This way if there's a leak it would go right down the drain. I'm thinking maybe 2 brute trash cans and get one of the carts for the saltwater container.

I would just have to pump new salt water to the basement for water changes, which shouldn't be an issue since I was going to pump the dirty salt water upstairs after water changes.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the closet I’m considering putting everything in. It’s about 3’ wide by 2’ deep.

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpeg
    IMG_0236.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 37

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to put in a sewage ejection pump with a sealed crock. I'm on a septic and the basement is lower than the inlet on the tanks. So I could but for the price to get an ejection pump installed I was hoping I could find a more cost-effective way.

You can get an ejector pump for a utility sink and put that in the basement. I am assume since you are in Michigan the line running to the septic tank has to be 3-4' below grade.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get an ejector pump for a utility sink and put that in the basement. I am assume since you are in Michigan the line running to the septic tank has to be 3-4' below grade.
I'll have to look into those. I think that would work. It would be nice to have a sink in the basement next to the tank. I probably wouldn't drain salt water through the pump, but it would be nice for protein skimmer cleaning and just rinse a bunch of water through the sink after to get any salt water out.

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thomas - I do not mean to hijack the thread, but I am curious as to where your DT will be. Is that going to be in the basement, or on the first floor? If the latter, I have a similar situation in which I will need to push water from my storage tank to the first floor along with needing about 100ft of flexible piping between the two. If our situations are similar I am curious as to what will you be using to push the freshly mixed saltwater to the tank on the first floor.

Thanks

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to pump water downstairs - let gravity do it for you!
I worked on a system that use 1 pipe for a change & returning new saltwater.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thomas - I do not mean to hijack the thread, but I am curious as to where your DT will be. Is that going to be in the basement, or on the first floor? If the latter, I have a similar situation in which I will need to push water from my storage tank to the first floor along with needing about 100ft of flexible piping between the two. If our situations are similar I am curious as to what will you be using to push the freshly mixed saltwater to the tank on the first floor.

Thanks
Not hyjacking at all. My display will be in the basement as will my storage tanks. I’ll have to RODI upstairs and run the water line to the basement. I will have the same problem as you though, but just with dirty water. I’m trying to think about how I can either pump the water out of the basement with either an ejection pump for a sink or just getting a sicce utility pump. I haven’t really looked into it much though. If your pumping water that far I would definitely look into a way to hard plumb it so you can install a back flow preventer at the pump(so 100’ worth of water doesn’t end up back in your caintainer)

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not hyjacking at all. My display will be in the basement as will my storage tanks. I’ll have to RODI upstairs and run the water line to the basement. I will have the same problem as you though, but just with dirty water. I’m trying to think about how I can either pump the water out of the basement with either an ejection pump for a sink or just getting a sicce utility pump. I haven’t really looked into it much though. If your pumping water that far I would definitely look into a way to hard plumb it so you can install a back flow preventer at the pump(so 100’ worth of water doesn’t end up back in your caintainer)
Oh wow! Backflow preventer..I hadn’t thought of that!

If I just use the tubing for fresh saltwater, do you think the backflow to the tank would be an issue?

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put it in the basement. Run the waste line up and out through a wall and into the yard. Or up into the homes plumbing. There has gotta be some place for it to go. Putting things in tight closets is never ideal.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! Backflow preventer..I hadn’t thought of that!

If I just use the tubing for fresh saltwater, do you think the backflow to the tank would be an issue?
As long as where it’s going will never be submerged in water. If it is then it will start a syphen and suck all the water back to the basement. If it’s above the water level at all times then the only water that will come back down to your basement will be what’s in the tube.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back