RODI Waste - Sump pump concern

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone have any issues with their basement sump pump shorting out or dying because of the extra stress of waste water along with doing laundry at the same time? Mine has died now three times in the last six months - which is insane to happen twice, let alone three times.

The second time was because it got clogged - but flabbergasted that it happened again.

Any tips or tricks? Really stuck here.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a better pump? Im going on 3 years or so on my current sump pump. First one lasted 25 years. I've only been reefing for 8 of those years but my RO waste goes directly into my sump crock as does the clothes washer. We do about 4 loads of laundry a week I make about 50g rodi a week

EDIT : make sure the check valve is working. If that fails the pump will really do a lot of short cycling as the water in the pipes flows back down when it stops.

OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buy a better pump? Im going on 3 years or so on my current sump pump. First one lasted 25 years. I've only been reefing for 8 of those years but my RO waste goes directly into my sump crock as does the clothes washer. We do about 4 loads of laundry a week I make about 50g rodi a week

EDIT : make sure the check valve is working. If that fails the pump will really do a lot of short cycling as the water in the pipes flows back down when it stops.
Thanks - the pump is the top of the line you can get - per my plumber. So I can't see that being the issue. My wife is convinced all of this water making is the culprit but I think there's something else. End of the day, it's just water.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has to be a warranty on the pumps. What does the plumber say? I'm my own plumber but researched a bit on the short cycling and most of what I read said it's really nothing to worry about.
I get the wife blame. Our kitchen sink drain was plugged and my Gal kept saying it was because of all the fish stuff I've dumped in the sink through the years. It was plugged so bad a power snake wouldn't even go through. I had to cut out an 18ft section of drain pipe out and replace it. After I break the old pipe apart I find hard white stuff packed inside the pipe. I show her and she says well I did dump a box of backing soda and some vinegar down the drain because I read online it would clear plugged drains. I almost lost it lol.

OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's hilarious! haha - sorry, I don't know much about plumbing. but what causes short-cycling? Honestly just dumbfounded to why this keeps happening every few months. Either a day after I make water and doing laundry at the same time. Amount of water in the tank shouldn't matter, no?
Here's the pump..
1709227786730.png

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the check valve. Did plumbing for several years, a pump shouldn't be going out that quickly. Most common issues were check valves and bad floats.

OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 on the check valve. Did plumbing for several years, a pump shouldn't be going out that quickly. Most common issues were check valves and bad floats.
Cool - my plumber is coming by today. I'll have them check the 'check valve'. That's separate from the pump itself, right?

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool - my plumber is coming by today. I'll have them check the 'check valve'. That's separate from the pump itself, right?
Would be on your outlet line. Prevents water from flowing back to the pump once it turns off, same thing used in most reef tanks. If the water is coming back is enough to activate the float again, but not enough to clear the line, you just get a continuous cycle of on/off by the pump 24/7.

sbeason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check the check valve to your sump pump for sure to make sure there isnt a problem with it.

Why does your washing machine waste hose go to your sump? Mine goes to the sewer line. If your sump pump goes out to the curb, you are putting that in the storm drain, otherwise it would be going into your yard. I dont want the dirty washing machine water to go to my yard.

OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plumber came by yesterday...
Found a plastic glove. he goes, do you have a cleaner come to your house... Yess I do.. Boom. She must have flushed it down the basement toilet.
Husband 1, Wife 0

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumber came by yesterday...
Found a plastic glove. he goes, do you have a cleaner come to your house... Yess I do.. Boom. She must have flushed it down the basement toilet.
Husband 1, Wife 0
I'd be more concerned at this point that your sump pump leads to the sewer line.... That is illegal most places.

jeeper07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any issues with their basement sump pump shorting out or dying because of the extra stress of waste water along with doing laundry at the same time? Mine has died now three times in the last six months - which is insane to happen twice, let alone three times.

The second time was because it got clogged - but flabbergasted that it happened again.

Any tips or tricks? Really stuck here.
I put a t in the ro waste line. On days it’s over freezing I direct the waste water outside. On days below freezing it goes down the drain

sbeason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still cant see how a glove flushed down your toilet caused an issue with your sump pump.......Your sump pump in your basement should not be tied into your sewer drain line coming out of your house.

OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still cant see how a glove flushed down your toilet caused an issue with your sump pump.......Your sump pump in your basement should not be tied into your sewer drain line coming out of your house.
I have two. One is my sump pump. The other sump is just for my basement water/washing machines/sinks that pumps it up to the street. That's it and that's the one I had the issue with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back