Semi-emergency - power outage ato dump and fuge question

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

RS Reefer 350 G2 tank and Red Sea ato+ is what I’m working with. Two issues:

1.) power went off this morning for about 15 minutes (non-rural area but installing generator soon.) prior to this, I had my tank and new ato setup running smoothly at perfect sump level.

After power went off I noticed that my ato had dumped about the remaining 3 gallons of RO out of the 5 gallon jug into the tank. This started the juggle of salinity balance and pump to overflow balance until I got it right again. Ato pump is new and functioning fine, reservoir is at even level with the sump, and siphon break is installed and functional.

Had it been the full 5 gallons it would’ve overflowed the sump, rendering this a “semi-emergency” in case it happens again with a full ato reservoir.

Anybody have any clue as to why this may have happened? I posit that it was because when the power kicked back on the sump pumped the output compartment out faster than the overflow back to the sump could fill it up and left the water below the sensor line for some extended period of time, but I’m not sure. Shouldn’t there be some type of delay on it? Any thoughts appreciated.

2.) Just set up my refugium in the reefer sump with the algae catch grate before it flows into the protein skimmer compartment and got my macros in there, exciting. I am concerned, however, that loose pieces might flow into the skimmer compartment or even into the pump compartment. Can macros cause clogs in skimmer or pump and lead to malfunctions? Am I missing a step here?

Really appreciate you guys. Thanks!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your trigger for the ATO pump?

Based on what you stated, There is no visible error here. My guess is that your ATO trigger is a float valve that got stuck.

My ATO also uses a float valve and I guess I should be glad that it usually sticks the other way and does not turn the pump on. Rather have it run low than overflow...

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your trigger for the ATO pump?

Based on what you stated, There is no visible error here. My guess is that your ATO trigger is a float valve that got stuck.

My ATO also uses a float valve and I guess I should be glad that it usually sticks the other way and does not turn the pump on. Rather have it run low than overflow...
Thanks for the reply…I was thinking that but it works just fine once the power is back on. No stuck trigger. So confused.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back