Refugium spilling macro through sump - need diy fix!

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, happy Saturday!

I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 g2. I recently set up a refugium with some good macros in the front left compartment where it is supposed to go, with a light and a power head circulating water. )see photos) The reefer has a very small (and shallow) grate to contain the macro.

I have encountered a problem I was concerned about at the beginning, wherein my macros are spilling from the front left compartment, into the protein skimmer compartment causing gurgling. They are clogging up my mechanical filtration pad between the skimmer compartment and the return pump compartment, which explains the rise in my sump level and burning through ato water too quickly.

Anyone out there have a hack where I can keep the macros contained in the front left compartment? It is also floating over to the right side of the front compartment where the power head is, to the right of my reefmat, clogging the power head as well.

In other words, this is getting messy and I am concerned about the macros spill leading to a catastrophic failure of some sort in addition to being ugly and noisy.

Would really appreciate your help on this one, I can get to the hardware store this weekend! Thanks!
IMG_2388.jpeg
IMG_2389.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
make a barrier or container smaller than the chamber out of "granny grating" (plastic mesh used for needle point). Should be able to get it at most craft stores. Can use small zip ties to secure it.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make a barrier or container smaller than the chamber out of "granny grating" (plastic mesh used for needle point). Should be able to get it at most craft stores. Can use small zip ties to secure it.
This is a great idea. Basically a box to contain the macro to put in the front compartment yeah?

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the power head off and see what happens. Large piece of egg crate and zip ties would fix that.

Also why so many media balls?

Yeah you’re the second person to bring up the bio balls thing…

When I set up the tank as a new reefer way back in the day (7 months ago lol) I started it with a large bio block from my buddy’s well established rig. The tank came with those balls and I just dumped them all in.

Considering I have a very seasoned bio block about 8x6, do you think I can just pull all those bio balls? I can use a few in my 25 gal and put some in my QT too.

Would make my life easier.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you’re the second person to bring up the bio balls thing…

When I set up the tank as a new reefer way back in the day (7 months ago lol) I started it with a large bio block from my buddy’s well established rig. The tank came with those balls and I just dumped them all in.

Considering I have a very seasoned bio block about 8x6, do you think I can just pull all those bio balls? I can use a few in my 25 gal and put some in my QT too.

Would make my life easier.
I would say you can pull at least half of them. Definitely use them in the qt tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back