Everything is dying

Gurgle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, ima be honest with y’all I’ve had my fluval eco 13.5 for about 2 weeks and I had a clownfish, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 12 corals, 5 Nesarus snails, 2 Cerith snails, 3 giant turbo snails, 5 crabs, and a normal small snail. Everything was running perfect for a new tank, every coral was popping like crazy and my girlfriends cousin who had a reef tank for a few years and has one now actually said my tank is the only tank he’s seen run that good for a new tank. So anyway everytime I put my hands in the tank my Nemo would come to me and bite me and it would actually annoy me and kinda hurt. So I decided to take him out and I guess I jacked my whole tank up because almost all my corals died, my snails, crabs died(except for like 2). And my fish won’t come out at all and it’s been about 4 days and nothing popping now I had to get rid of like 5 of my corals and I’m concerned about what to do next. Someone please help!!!

OP
OP
Gurgle

Gurgle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contamination from your hands?

What's your water parameters?
I always make sure my hands don’t have lotion or hand sanitizer and my calcium is 400, alkalinity is 7-9 drops and my salinity is 1.022-1.024

OP
OP
Gurgle

Gurgle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water change and run carbon. 2 weeks way to early for all that livestock. if you had lotion, hand sanitizer, "lube" ect on hands.... bad deal
I did a water change and I put in clean purigen, carbon and chemipure. I also bought cycled water with my tank and live rock and I wait a few days and everything was okay so I slowly added stuff in and it did amazing so I figured it was okay.

OP
OP
Gurgle

Gurgle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank sounds like it's crashing from not cycling. When you say "two week" do you mean after cycling or just two weeks all together
I’ve had the tank itself for about 3 weeks but I bought cycled water and live rock so it was kinda cycled already and I waited a few days before adding stuff

KTrevino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to properly cycle the tank. "everything was okay" after adding live rock is not a proper ammonia check.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to have to agree with the above, it didn't crash from the fish removal that was just a coincidence. Simple case of too much too fast.

Lots of red flags here, 5 nassarius snails is not only too many for a 13g but way too many for a new sandbed with no microfauna. 3 giant turbo snails is also overkill given they are huge waste producers. Consider your crabs, snails and corals as part of your total bioload, not just the fish.

Put simply your rocks and sand were not ready for that much waste. To compound the problem now that everything is unhappy keep a very watchful eye on any cuc deaths during this time as your system will most definitely react negatively to one of those making your problem exponentially worse. Specially be careful with the snails as they bury themselves and die they become impossible to spot and remove until it's too late.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been in your shoes before have used water from previous tear downs and such and have never had a problem and I never cycled them but the system was also already running so it already had the bioload needed to sustain. One thing it could be is possibly rock was contaminated if it was wet rock or one of the many fish came in contaminated. I’m guessing you didn’t qt and fish or whatnot. I’m by no means a pro have a little knowledge from research I’m currently doing these are my thoughts.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s too much livestock for a tank of your size, at your current stage. When I read 12 corals, you’re overdoing it. If I were you I’d only do the Royal Gramma + YWG or the pair of Clowns, not 4 all at the same time.

To the OP, IMO your tank might even be too small for all 4. Maybe just 2-3 fish, 3 at most.

Last edited:

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it takes a few days to a week or so for these mistakes to become a problem. And when they do things can go downhill fast.

See if you can off load some of the livestock. Do a few water changes and then buy a bottle of bacteria. Dose a little more than recommended for a few days.

Johny Cash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add to some of the great suggestions, theories above,

your beneficial bacteria wasn't sufficient enough to turn ammonia into nitrate, even though you got the cycled water or LR, unfortunately beneficial bacteria takes time to colonize, maybe it would of been enough for a fish or two but with that many livestock just couldn't handle it. There is no short cut to cycling and creating that balance with proper time, most new tanks cycles 6-8 weeks sometimes even more.

I am sorry to hear whats happening but too fast and too much at the same time.

Coreys reef adventure

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who ever sold you cycled water is ripping you off, you don’t cycle water, you cycle the rock and sand/crushed coral. Go to your lfs try to find some bacteria in a bottle, start putting in twice the recommended amount, find someone to take your coral and your fish, and let your tank cycle. It’s exciting to watch your coral grow, but when you don’t know what you’re doing you’re going to make mistakes, and unfortunately you’re going to have to pay for it.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you don't have nearly enough bacteria built up on that rock to process that bioload you will need to export it somehow. Easiest way to keep evrything you still have with your small tank is to do water changes. If you did not do a large water change already (70-80%) do it now. Then 5gallon water changes every 3-5 days for a few weeks. beneficial bacteria levels will eventually build up.
Just make sure you get the salinity right and keep the temp within 3-4 degrees with the new water.

And please get rid of some of those snails. I have 2 snails and 2 hermit crabs in 120gallon tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back