Everything is dying

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we differentiate the op’s tank with all the instant cycle reefs of a Macna convention, all started with fish on day one? (None show up early to cycle before start date)

need tank pics here

ZaneGreay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we differentiate the op’s tank with all the instant cycle reefs of a Macna convention, all started with fish on day one? (None show up early to cycle before start date)

need tank pics here
Most of those tanks are only up a few days to a week at most! with massive amounts of bacteria dumper in and by the time anything would start to show signs or go down hill they are taken down and put into qt at the vendors location/shop

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That implies skip cycle reefs have weaker cycles than 30 day bringups agreed that is the notion nearly everyone would hold. Let me challenge it in this way, twofold

- what is the timeframe they can keep skip cycle tanks alive before decline? I understand the rationale that re dosing bottle bac daily would replace missing bac, but what if it’s not dosed daily but just once? Do those tanks lose ability to control ammonia soon after, if not given 30 days to ramp up?

for tracking, here’s a no re dose skip cycle reef to track for retained cycle control. Indistinguishable from a 30 day cycle, added fish without adding bottle bac:

30 day cycles and ~3 day cycles have the same performance ability, immunity to full water changes...pretty amazing.

once reef convention tanks run 3-5 days, they will run forever with natural ammonia control.

Last edited:

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we not turn this post into another "skip cycle/instant cycle" discussion for Op's sake. Theres a million threads about that already and all its going to do is clutter this thread.

Enough speculations have been thrown out and enough questions have been asked to proceed forward, at this point all we can do is wait for OP to respond and render more help.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what when you move a tank you are going to get at least a mini cycle. Period.
I'm not sure what was bought when. Probably adding too much at once was the problem. Never a bad thing to start with wet live rock and mature tank water as long as you are absolutely positive there are no pests in it like Ich. If you aren't sure you need to let it sit fallow for at least 6 weeks before adding anything else.

If you haven't already add Prime immediately and at the emergency dose (5 x normal dose).
That will at least detoxify your tank in the short term. Unfortunately your fish may already have ammonia burns on their gills which is not good.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

need tank pics here

I have always wondered that myself! Would love to hear from experts that do it on a regular basis.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back