Evo 13.5 Lighting schedule

nicksEvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wondering about lighting schedules on my Evo:

I'm almost ready to get corals, so I want consistently timed lighting before I buy anything. I plan on turning on my stock light with a 15 minute sunrise at 9 am. Then around 2 pm I have an 11 inch long nicrew light gradually turning on for 30 minutes, just blue. At 6 pm, my stock light turns off over a 15 minute sunset period, at which time my refugium light turns on. Lastly, my nicrew light stays on blue until 10 pm following a final 30 minute sunset period. My refugium light turns off at 9 am the next morning.

Nicrew light (built in timer):

Light timer (Stock light and Refugium):

Let me know what you think, too much light? I haven't had any crazy algae growth and I've been keeping with this schedule for the most part for the last 3 months.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue how much par that additional light adds. Probably not much? Other than that it seems fine. Out of curiosity, how is the nicrew light situated in the tank?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very careful with this product: it seems to be designed for freshwater tanks, is optimized for freshwater plants, and could fuel an algal explosion in a marine system. The stock lighting in an Evo is really good enough for most types of coral that will fit in the tank.

OP
OP
N

nicksEvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spare time , yes I don't think it provides much extra light, it is mostly supplementary to the stock light. It also allows me to see it for longer. Like @davidcalgary29 said, the stock light does well on its own for the most part. It is secured to the top of the tank by two suction cups that came with the light.

@davidcalgary29 thank you for the note, I'll definitely keep a close eye on any algal outbreaks, haven't had any problems yet. When I do, this light will be the prime suspect.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spare time , yes I don't think it provides much extra light, it is mostly supplementary to the stock light. It also allows me to see it for longer. Like @davidcalgary29 said, the stock light does well on its own for the most part. It is secured to the top of the tank by two suction cups that came with the light.

@davidcalgary29 thank you for the note, I'll definitely keep a close eye on any algal outbreaks, haven't had any problems yet. When I do, this light will be the prime suspect.

I wouldn't worry about that light and algae

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back