Excited for my first wrasse

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really wanted a 6 line wrasse and before anyone goes nuts here’s the program. I bought him to be the only fish in my frag tank. What was amazing was I went to my lfs today they have a bunch of 100 gallon saltwater tanks and you never know what will be in stock so I went looking for a wrasse in all the tanks. Nothing checked the massive coral tank. Nothing about to give up hope I went back to the other tanks and low abs behold who was there in plain sight my wrasse my daughter named Beenie. The owner was successful in getting him out and I brought him home. I’m sure he will enjoy picking at the frags looking for food abs so far loves the pellets I feed my other fish as well.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be a little fish with a bunch of attitude (the aquatic version of a chihuahua???) but I've read they can be helpful with controlling some pests!

Congrats on the first wrasse! :)

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So beenie the wrasse has been fine in my frag tank aka qt tank kinda. Today he went and lodged himself between the wave maker head and the mount was other wise swimming and eating. Few hours later he’s in the corner breathing fast and looks like he has a wound on top of his head. So hard to see with this darn ai prime lighting so once again took him out and put him in his own hospital tank with a hob filter and 2.0ppm copper safe. My frag tank is struggling my new wrasse is struggling. I never had these issues 15 years ago. I have so much money involved. I just can’t catch a break

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, sorry to hear about your wrasse. Maybe the group has some advice!

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wrasse is my first he is so amazing I give nothing but the best. I understand things happen will update tomorrow he has a small qt tank with some fake plants t hide in and has zero stress right now I really hope he is ok.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also terrible with Wrasse man. No matter how delicately I handle them. I've killed them all except my mystery wrasse.....

I have NO idea why.... really I'm at a loss... I just stopped buying them..... 4 Hour Acclimation, not shaking the bag at all when I drove him home, QT with just nice clean water, and no chems with daily WC's.... I tried it all... lol....

I've heard they're VERY VERY sensitive to Salinity changes. Maybe my WC's were off by 1 PPT or so, but nothing major, that could've been it? Idk.

Also I think they're super sensitive to copper, so I'm not sure if that was a good move either....

Few of my friends have said melanurus wrasse are more hardy and fun. I never got one.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s only 1.5 inches just a little guy. Thank god I have meds now! Can you mix prazipro with copper safe?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s only 1.5 inches just a little guy. Thank god I have meds now! Can you mix prazipro with copper safe?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back