Expanded tank 400 Gallons plumb return ideas. Any large water movers out there?

rppvt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a Dart on a 75. with huge, screened 2"piping. A big waste of electricity if you ask me. The filtering was a separate, slower system. IMHO, I'd use some other method of circulation and count on that (gyre or Turbelles, etc..) rather than a high turnover CL system. but good luck and have fun.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 400 gallons with two main DT's. I ran 2" mains then dropped to four 1.5" return pipes in the displays. Each of the submerged return pipes are different lengths and can be selected/controlled separately so over the course of a month, I modify the output from each of the pipes to vary flow patterns in the tank. My two tanks are identical in size and shape only one has this return system and this tank does better than the other in terms of growth. The other tank has the traditional returns at the top.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 400 gallons with two main DT's. I ran 2" mains then dropped to four 1.5" return pipes in the displays. Each of the submerged return pipes are different lengths and can be selected/controlled separately so over the course of a month, I modify the output from each of the pipes to vary flow patterns in the tank. My two tanks are identical in size and shape only one has this return system and this tank does better than the other in terms of growth. The other tank has the traditional returns at the top.
So what is the advantage of running a return pipe larger than the outlet of the pump

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a Dart on a 75. with huge, screened 2"piping. A big waste of electricity if you ask me. The filtering was a separate, slower system. IMHO, I'd use some other method of circulation and count on that (gyre or Turbelles, etc..) rather than a high turnover CL system. but good luck and have fun.
I have been running a super dart for years I'm not too worried about running it because I already have an already have been.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I already have the pump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back