Expensive Fish You Just "Don't Get"....

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In our hobby, there is a wide range of species, both expensive and relatively cheap... luxury wise, you've got the koi scopas, black, and gem tangs, along with the bandit and peppermint angels and certain angels of the Genicanthus genus. Then we have the infamous crosshatch triggerfish along with the rare golden fuzzy dwarf lionfish. To some, these fish may scream with holy grail-ness, and to others, a "why would you spend your money on that?" expression is warranted...

Now personally, I can see the appeal on nearly all of the fish I've listed above. The black, gem, and koi scopas are unique with nothing quite alike (sans a nice purple tang). The bandit, peppermint, and certain Genicanthus species angels are unique in design for the most part, while the planktivorous crosshatch trigger is one of a kind with it's gilded crosshatches of gold. The golden fuzzy dwarf lion hails from Sumatra, and as a lionfish lover and owner I can easily see the appeal of a golden lionfish!

Now that being said, there are some expensive fish I just simply don't get! Seriously, what is up with Zebra Bar Tangs (Acanthurus polyzona)???? I mean seriously, they just look like Convict Tangs (Acanthurus triostegus) with more thicker and numerous black bars. For a price of 900$+, just go out and buy a gem tang, a trio of purple tangs, or a whole school of yellow or convict tangs! I mean I'm sure there are reasons for the high price other than aesthetics, such as deep collection zones and stuff, but come on! Just looks like a more thickly banded (rebranded?) convict tang to me!

Now, what is an expensive fish you guys on R2R "don't get"...?
Convict_Surgeonfish%2C_Acanthurus_triostegus.jpeg
Acanthurus_polyzona_R%C3%A9union.jpeg

Attachments

• Acanthurus_polyzona_R%C3%A9union.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In our hobby, there is a wide range of species, both expensive and relatively cheap... luxury wise, you've got the koi scopas, black, and gem tangs, along with the bandit and peppermint angels and certain angels of the Genicanthus genus. Then we have the infamous crosshatch triggerfish along with the rare golden fuzzy dwarf lionfish. To some, these fish may scream with holy grail-ness, and to others, a "why would you spend your money on that?" expression is warranted...

Now personally, I can see the appeal on nearly all of the fish I've listed above. The black, gem, and koi scopas are unique with nothing quite alike (sans a nice purple tang). The bandit, peppermint, and certain Genicanthus species angels are unique in design for the most part, while the planktivorous crosshatch trigger is one of a kind with it's gilded crosshatches of gold. The golden fuzzy dwarf lion hails from Sumatra, and as a lionfish lover and owner I can easily see the appeal of a golden lionfish!

Now that being said, there are some expensive fish I just simply don't get! Seriously, what is up with Zebra Bar Tangs (Acanthurus polyzona)???? I mean seriously, they just look like Convict Tangs (Acanthurus triostegus) with more thicker and numerous black bars. For a price of 900$+, just go out and buy a gem tang, a trio of purple tangs, or a whole school of yellow or convict tangs! I mean I'm sure there are reasons for the high price other than aesthetics, such as deep collection zones and stuff, but come on! Just looks like a more thickly banded (rebranded?) convict tang to me!

Now, what is an expensive fish you guys on R2R "don't get"...?
Convict_Surgeonfish%2C_Acanthurus_triostegus.jpeg
I think the convict tang looks much much different (better) than the other:).. That said - The peppermint Angel...... Even for $300 - I think it looks 'ugly'.

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bandit angel is just very ugly.
Even I can get it for free, I'll not put it in my tank.
Iron butterflyfish also very ugly.
Tiger angel looks ok, to me it's worth about $20.
Conspic angel also worth about $20 to me.
Masked angelsfish looks nothing special at all.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all about the rarity....not really about looks. You can put a handful of 10 dollar damsels and have just as much color/beauty as the expensive fish. If Clownfish were rare, they would be going for 10k :)

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I blacked out a little from that one...
Ummm maybe if it crapped gold flakes and did back flips through hoops that were on fire, under water, while giving complements on my rock scape.....like why?

91BCEC94-C8F1-4F26-A88E-F7461130C0DE.png

I looked at the picture before i looked at the price. My immediate thought was "hmm okay, but these angels look too much like damsels or something. Definitely not for me."

Then i looked at the price and thought "WHO TF IS PAYING 8 GRAND FOR DAMSELS!?!?"

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interruptus angels actually get really big, my lfs got one in and i was looking for it in their DT, but looked right past it because it was the size of a large angel.

idk why DD wants 8k for two of them, though. pair + DD premium I guess. marinecollectors will actually QT the fish and wants $4800 for a pair. too rich for me either way, but they are really pretty fish

Back