Expensive Fish You Just "Don't Get"....

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some rare fish i can totally understand their pricing as people risk their lives to collect them, however species like the gem tang and polyzona i dont get, id much rather have an achilles for that money, or even a normal convict. I can totally get any angel, anthias or butterfly pricing as i love them all lol, and i find the wrought iron, bandit and griffis all quite uniquely beautiful fish.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t agree more with all the consp angel comments. My wife is very supportive of my hobby and loves all the beautiful fish and coral we have. But she too thinks it is ugly.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good friend once told me, as a business man , never judge another mans wallet!!
It’s some of the best advice I have ever been given.
I find most butterflies beautiful. Would I pay 3-5 grand for a wrought Iron, no but boy are they sweet looking fish. A Pakistan Butterfly is just as pretty though and much more affordable.
How about the reticulated, another gorgeous fish. I find the conspicuous to be a great looking fish too just not in my budget nor my size tank.

42406E12-A3D3-43E6-87AC-F10D47E3D940.jpeg
B005923C-1C7A-421B-98F7-E74ADDE4D93B.jpeg

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t agree more with all the consp angel comments. My wife is very supportive of my hobby and loves all the beautiful fish and coral we have. But she too thinks it is ugly.

This is mind blowing to me... I can remember being 10 years old and seeing this fish and a few other angels in Burgess' Atlas and thinking they were the most beautiful things I had ever seen. The conspicuous angel is one of the most beautiful designs nature has ever produced, it's as if a brilliant abstract painter designed a fish. To each their own I suppose...

For me it's the Sohal Tang, they're not as pretty as a clown tang, multiple times the cost, and they're even bigger jerks if they make it past their almost assured parasite outbreak and potential starvation phase in dealer tanks. Then to top it all off, some of them need a really huge tank to not be a spaz and just pace back and forth.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I blacked out a little from that one...
Ummm maybe if it crapped gold flakes and did back flips through hoops that were on fire, under water, while giving complements on my rock scape.....like why?

|pic removed|
Whoever thought of the pricing for that one was super high. I like Interruptus. But a blemished fish at a 100% premium, just because it's LA/DD (which doesn't really mean anything anymore)... No thanks.

It is all about the rarity....not really about looks. You can put a handful of 10 dollar damsels and have just as much color/beauty as the expensive fish.
This.

If Clownfish were rare, they would be going for 10k :)
McCulloch's used to be several thousand dollars. Also the original Lightning Maroon went for $10-15k (IIRC). :D

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't really care for Clarion angels either. The juveniles are nice, but the full-grown ones do nothing for me, especially for multiple thousands of dollars each.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth be told pretty much any fish in the 4 figure range I just don't get (sharks excluded). With all the variables with this hobby IMHO it's just impossible to get that much money's worth out of one fish.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bandit angel is just very ugly.
Even I can get it for free, I'll not put it in my tank.
Iron butterflyfish also very ugly.
Tiger angel looks ok, to me it's worth about $20.
Conspic angel also worth about $20 to me.
Masked angelsfish looks nothing special at all.

I assume this post might be a joke. Wrought iron butterfly, bandit angel, and conspic angel are all very nice in person.

And the masked angel is the nicest fish on the planet.

478C8665-4E50-4060-9BC6-044D11037203.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a goldflake angel in qt, it cost me $430, it hit me really hard. I could not even imagine losing a fish 10x that amount. When I first started I thought $100 was ridiculous, then my limit was $100, now its $500; I haven't seen anything that I would spend more on....yet.

I posted some comparisons of the armitage angel to my $80 flagfin a while back, and I just didn't get it.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we're talking fish, but I'm going to go ahead and add this coral. Because if ever there was a yellow/orange/gold color... this is it. 0_o

Sometimes this hobby makes me want to have an aneurysm lol
2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Just the other day I saw a hammer coral? On wholesaler's website. It was like rainbow colors. Wholesale was $500+ but I've never seen those colors ever.

Ligeia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's Black Tangs, Why are they so much money?

Also Koi tangs, what the heck?

Lol divers den also had a tinker butterfly for 2,500 why?

The Pitcairn Angel too.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's Black Tangs, Why are they so much money?

Also Koi tangs, what the heck?

Lol divers den also had a tinker butterfly for 2,500 why?

The Pitcairn Angel too.
I love black zebrasoma, my LFS in Santa Clara/San Jose has had one for 6 months for $500, I’m tempted every time, but it’s just to much..

One day I’ll get my gold rim/Achilles hybrid as well..:rolleyes: dream fish

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought a purple tang was an easy substitute for a gem, until I saw them in the same tank. Gem’s are really nice looking as they get larger too.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back