Expensive Fish You Just "Don't Get"....

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's just clownfish in general. They are the epitome of the dime a dozen fish of the hobby. I'm okay with not having the most unique fish in the hobby, but I am really put off by the "everyone and their dog has one" type fish.

Eh...I think any fish that can be captive bred as successful as clowns is always a good thing for the hobby. We would be lucky to get as successful with other types of fish to the point they become as common as clowns.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the 500 dollar wild caught kamohara blenny on DD was crazy when captive bred is like 30 dollars. Maybe it's for brood stock...what do I know.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the red one better also, but the purple IMO looks similar to the helfrichi.

I think they look different but its all an opinion ofc! The Helfricti goes on sale a lot, its on sale right now! Only 10 dollars more than a purple. Definitely not worth paying more than 60 for one as they seem to be regularly available.

1564459466251.png

There is a rare pink one that probably has an insane price that is almost identical to the helfrichi but pink.

1564459983165.png

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curacao deep water basslet....They're nice looking fish but not any nicer than other basslets costing a fraction of the cost.
I have to agree on certain Basslets and pound for pound since the ones I have seen for around $300- $400 only get a few inches, I'd say they are every bit as ridiculous as a $1K + fish that get over a foot.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I spend serious coin on a fish I want to eat it. And it better taste great! (Insert Tony the Tiger here) a fish for my tank that I get to hang out with and live in the same house with, watch it grow, learn its personalities. $100 max and that’s max. Anything above that and I’m out. Even $100 is pushing it has to be a fish I really want. And even than I’ll still spend days! Thinking about if I want it that bad. $100 can buy a lot of groceries. Coral too. I think $100 is my limit for tank creatures.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they look different but its all an opinion ofc! The Helfricti goes on sale a lot, its on sale right now! Only 10 dollars more than a purple. Definitely not worth paying more than 60 for one as they seem to be regularly available.

1564459466251.png

There is a rare pink one that probably has an insane price that is almost identical to the helfrichi but pink.

1564459983165.png

Saw your screenshot and checked LA. I've always wanted a Helfricti but couldn't justify 100+$ for one. Thats when i realized it says "starting at 49.99." Once you actually go to the page its just medium size at... 120 bucks! So much for a "sale"...

...Well played, Live Aquaria, well played :/

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw your screenshot and checked LA. I've always wanted a Helfricti but couldn't justify 100+$ for one. Thats when i realized it says "starting at 49.99." Once you actually go to the page its just medium size at... 120 bucks! So much for a "sale"...

...Well played, Live Aquaria, well played :/

They must have ran out because they were in stock for 50 this morning for the small ones. They go on sale fairly frequently though...at least every couple months. So I would suggest you check their super sales frequently and there is usually a code you can find on these forums for another 15 percent off to bring it down further.

Looking at the website the sale is over now.

I saw juvi flame wrasses super cheap from LA a few months back too.

Last edited:

Gogoggansgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GEM tang IMO is worth it if you can get one for 5-600 bucks that’s in the realm of reality. The only one don’t get is the black tang. 1200 bucks, it better do my taxes for me

Last edited:

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GEM tang IMO is worth it if you can get one for 5-600 bucks that’s in the realm of reality. The only don’t get is the black tang. 1200 bucks, it better do my taxes for me
The regular Black Tang cannot do taxes, but I believe the hybrid was bred with the ability to do simple tax forms. As long as you aren't Self Employed or have crazy deductions then you should be fine with a Hybrid Black Tang. ;Happy

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GEM tang IMO is worth it if you can get one for 5-600 bucks that’s in the realm of reality. The only don’t get is the black tang. 1200 bucks, it better do my taxes for me

The thing is the gem tang really isn't that rare anymore, to demand higher than normal prices. DD has them 10 at a time and a number of lfs around here have them, they can't give them away. The collector prices have actually come down, it just hasn't trickled down to the hobbyist yet.

Gogoggansgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is the gem tang really isn't that rare anymore, to demand higher than normal prices. DD has them 10 at a time and a number of lfs around here have them, they can't give them away. The collector prices have actually come down, it just hasn't trickled down to the hobbyist yet.
Yeah i agree more than likely over time the gem tang will end up where the purple tang is now price wise
150-300 dollars

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Griffis Angel, Borb Anthias (reminds me of orange roughy), monsoon fairy wrasse.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back