Experience / Advice about Sunburst Anthias

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

For months I've been thinking about a sunburst anthias, but looking to hear about people's experiences with them first. My current tank is an established Red Sea Reefer 300XL with a 65 gallon display and 15 gallon sump with some chaeto.

Stock list (in order of when they were added):
Longnose hawkfish
Pearly jaw-fish
Yellow Assessor
Pair of large Ocellaris clowns
Shrimp Goby - pistol shrimp pair
Large Bangaii cardinal
Tiny Biota green mandarin

Some notes- female clownfish is definitely the boss of the tank, but doesn't really bother anything. The hawk will chase the assessor for maybe 6 inches a few times a day, but never had any issue with any kind of fin nipping or other damage. Mostly seems like standard hawkfish territorial kind of behavior. The bangaii keeps the hawkfish in check, basically making a half lunge at him now and again, but pretty tame overall. No aggression from anything else that I have seen.

My hesitation with pulling the trigger on a Sunburst anthias is for two reasons. First, I'm apprehensive about whether it would get bullied by the current "hierarchy." 2 months ago ro so I added a ~1 1/4 inch blue/green chromic and everything beat the crap out of it, so much so I had to net him within the hour and put it in the sump until I could get him back to the LFS. Even the assessor was aggressive to it, which I've never seen in 5+ years of having one. Obviously these anthias tend to come in bigger than that chromic was, and there is next to no aggression on a day to day basis as things stand, but I know that these fish can take awhile to acclimate and feel comfortable in their surroundings. I'm not sure if even that limited day to day territorial behavior would be an indication that the new addition could get bullied initially at least, long enough for it to wither away from stress.

My other question is about general acclimation. Does it make more sense to order one locally (the LFS in mind has an extensive QT regimen, albeit it's a bit of an uncharge) or order from a TSM Aquatics / DiversDen? I've read the latter two QT but I wonder if the shipping process negates that to some degree by stressing the fish out with a further round of shipping (as opposed to a 20 minute trip home from my LFS).

Otherwise just looking to hear about any experiences with this fish if you have them! Thanks in advance.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While very pretty, does not do well with sudden chemistry changes and does not seem liked by hawkish otherwise good eater and active fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Was the aggression constant or just a lunge here and there? Did you get yours shipped from an online store or locally?
Locally and The longnose hawk hated him from the onset. I had to get rid of the Hawk

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, glad I asked first. That's a bummer to hear, I've been looking forward to keeping one but it doesn't sound realistic I suppose. Any other anthias or similar fish? Currently I've got a Midas Blenny, Helfrichi firefish, and a Labouti wrasse (him last, since I've heard they can get a little more feisty once settled) on the list, but in the meantime I'm looking for one more addition. I've been interested in anthias generally as I work from home most days / have an auto feeder, but not sure what would be best with my size display tank given I'd always just assumed the sunburst anthias would be the one I'd get

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sunburst anthias is the next fish i want to get my lfs had some last year but i didn't like how they looked so i passed

robert serafino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 2. I have 13 other Anthias, Pinktail trigger, harlequin tusk and a purple tang they hold there own. My shop thow qt them for three weeks. and they ate real good when I received them. They don't hide at all swim around the whole bottom of the tank.

robert serafino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220126_162503.jpg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what their social structure is. Do they pair / form small harems at most unlike other Anthias? It’s always the more solitary / pairing / small-group based Anthias that have caught my attention over the ones that shoal and form much larger groups.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back