Experimental Ich Treatment... Wish me luck.

olecaptainj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used a qt in 11 years in this hobby and never will....

Also there are very very VERY few store(s) in VA that I would even consider has any knowledge or the experience level to make a magic ich potion. fish world or tiki corals at best....

OP
OP
Vague Doctor

Vague Doctor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last hour, the black bar chromis' have decided to declare war on each other. Everyone's displaying aggressive shimmy movements in a different corner of the tank. Doesn't seem like they are very happy and there's been a quite a few fins nipped. If whatever disease I'm trying to treat doesn't kill them, they'll just kill each other apparently. *facedesk*

All the other fish are fine. (2 clowns and 1 scooter blenny show no signs of infection) No inverts displaying strange behavior, except I did find a very small shield slug in the tank today. Update to come.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One never knows when someone will come up with the next big step in the hobby. I hope it’s something that works and we can figure out what it is. That would be great.
Of course most will be skeptical I am always gun shy to add anything new to the tank. Even after QT.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue reef chromis are known for knocking each other off until only one remains long term unless kept in a huge system. If it works, maybe send a sample to Randy so he can tell us what is in it. Actually even if it doesn't work, as I am curious.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be following along even though I am in the process of setting up quarantine tanks for fish and corals.

I am always interested in learning new stuff. Well, expect for M$ Windows...don't get me started on that...lol!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Brave of you to put a “magic cocktail” - I personally wouldn’t trust my sister if she wasn’t willing to disclose the ingredients.

As a recovering scientist, I have a question on how you plan to measure effectiveness of this? Assuming your fish do have ich, in the best case scenario, it will complete its cycle (~3-7d) and possibly disappear for some time. Was it from the cocktail or fish’s immunity? Say that you ran another tank but instead of the cocktail you added cayenne pepper and got the same results would it be logical to assume that cayenne pepper kills ich?

At the minimum I would want to understand from the lfs, why is their fish not ich free, it’s a parasite and not airborne (at least somewhat limited).

No offense, and don’t mean to be cynical but just the type of questions you would get if you were trying to run a scientific experiment.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say that you ran another tank but instead of the cocktail you added cayenne pepper and got the same results would it be logical to assume that cayenne pepper kills ich?

How would you get each ich parasite to eat the cayenne pepper? :rolleyes:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are we moving that ancient tank of yours? :D

Hopefully in April. When you say "We" does that mean you are coming to help me or you have a mouse in your pocket! :rolleyes:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully in April. When you say "We" does that mean you are coming to help me or you have a mouse in your pocket! :rolleyes:

I'm coming with an Acanthurus Tang. ;Oldman

Back