My only tang, Powder Blue, is attacking the Foxface. Get another tang? - VIDEO

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconding this. I had one that was peaceful for like 6 years and then one day he went nuts and bullied his tank mates to death in a matter of a week. Thing was a straight up murder tang. Rehomed him to an 8 foot tank and he tried pulling the same nonsense, and eventually it ended up spending the rest of his days as the only fish in a frag tank. Meanest SOB I've ever had in my tank.
I also agree. Murder tang lol fits. I got me a nice powder brown tang that is super chill and beautiful. No attitude issues like the powder blue

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree. Murder tang lol fits. I got me a nice powder brown tang that is super chill and beautiful. No attitude issues like the powder blue
It's a shame, I honestly find them to be one of the most beautiful fish in the hobby and certainly the most beautiful tang... especially now that chevron tangs are unobtainable.

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would probably research the fish more before buying
I definitely do in all other cases. Hence avoiding the Achilles, numerous triggers, even many wrasses. So many things.

Only thing I've re-homed is a Longnose Hawkfish because my wife wanted to get a candy-cane pistol shrimp and that's clearly not going to work.

This was a blindspot for me. I've seen them in the hobby for 20 yrs but never owned one, and they are so ubiquitous I assumed they'd just be a typical tang. I didn't even bother to research it I was so certain that they must be typical.

Also, just so pretty. How can they be evil? Pretty privledge got me I guess.

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if it having a sudden psychotic break is possible, that's also a bit worrying because of the others in there.

Losing any fish is horrible, but at least the Foxface is relatively common.

But if it went after my Moorish Idol who's chubby and eating frozen, or my Copperband who's the same, that would really suck. Took awhile to train them, and they would not be easy to replace. Beyond the emotional attachment.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if it having a sudden psychotic break is possible, that's also a bit worrying because of the others in there.

Losing any fish is horrible, but at least the Foxface is relatively common.

But if it went after my Moorish Idol who's chubby and eating frozen, or my Copperband who's the same, that would really suck. Took awhile to train them, and they would not be easy to replace. Beyond the emotional attachment.
It will most likely go after them once it gets rid of the foxface… yeah their beauty made me get one too. I researched the heck out of it and was like okay I know its aggression level and made plans for it. Didnt go according to plan… I do love my hippo tang that I got as a trade to my LFS. He is very chill :) and blue! Lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other concern is just overall stocking.

Currently have:
- Moorish Idol
- Copperband
- Male and Female Bluethroat
- Powder Blue
- Magnificent Foxface

And a bunch of little guys.

In a 5 foot, 160gal Waterbox.

Adding a Purple Tang that will eventually get 6-7 inches, seems like a lot.
What are the full dimensions?

That tank looks smaller than 5 foot long but it may be due to a smaller depth and height.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it's a 160gal tank? That seems pretty large by most measures? Maybe it's just the size of the two and how fast they are moving.

But agree it's not enough space if they are going to be going at each other full speed like this.

No it’s really not.

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the full dimensions?

That tank looks smaller than 5 foot long but it may be due to a smaller depth and height.
59.4"L × 29.5"W × 23.6"H

Dirty glass + kitten.

Part of the thing that screws with the perspective a bit is that it's wider than most tanks at 30", and the stand is 40" high. It's 6" wider than a standard 180gal, and 12" shorter in length.

The tank beside it is a tall peninsula 24"L x 36"W x 36"H.

Can actually see the same Powder Blue in this shot.

PXL_20240124_182222383.jpg

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to net it out in one try, lucky I guess.

One thing for others that may be looking at this, it's not just the explicit aggression was an issue.

It only explicitly targetted the Foxface, and seemed to leave everyone else alone. But even then the Moorish Idol, Copperband, and Bluethroats are all just steering clear of it, maybe from the example set with the Foxface.

So even if it's not attacking everything all the time, or even only sporadically, it's still raising the stress of the tank overall.

PXL_20240506_204413540.jpg

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's crazy, even after only 15 minutes in that box, the entire tank has relaxed.

It's like I removed a shark or something.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I totally felt this entire thread. I just had to break apart my tank to get out a tiny little flame hawkfish that was being a monster to everything! Even corals! (Monster cuz you know, nano tank.)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's crazy, even after only 15 minutes in that box, the entire tank has relaxed.

It's like I removed a shark or something.
Yep exactly. Thats how my tank was after I tore it apart to remove mine. She was beautiful but a terror

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back