Experimenting with US Sterilizer

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I am a huge skeptic when it comes to UV sterilizers. I do not think they serve much purpose in tanks. They definitely do not eradicate ich and I am not happy with 'managing' ich in my tank. I want it gone. As far as I know, I am completely ich-free and have been for the last 8 years. But I lost all my fish except for two tangs when I downgraded from 220 to 125 gal tank this summer. The tank didn't come on time (Thank you Truvu) and I went on vacation. I had someone try to maintain the fish in bins (construction workers got rid of the 220 for me when I was gone, so I put everything in bins), and ammonia did it. Anyway, I am adding fish currently, waiting for my next batch from the good doc Reef. Although I am a skeptic, I am not too stubborn, and I had some discussions with people who stand by sterilizers, so I am willing to try things before. I had a Lifegard 40-watt UV unit previously, but it definitely did nothing for ich. At the same time, I was a noob and probably plumbed poorly. Man do I talk a lot without saying much...
Fast forward to today. About 11 hours ago I installed a 40-watt Aqua unit and I am running it on a dedicated Varios-4 pump on full blast, so roughly 1000 gph. So far I cannot tell of its impact on my tank, the lights are still off. At this point, I am aiming to clean up the water as I am fighting a nasty dino outbreak (this is what happens when you play with your tank too much and leave it too clean). I draw water from the drain section near my socks, and sterilized water empties into the return pump section of the sump. The UV itself is placed on the floor behind the stand in a horizontal position.
I will keep a weekly update on what I am noticing in regard to the UV sterilizer. I welcome any input and suggestions, but I will be slow to make adjustments. I want to give 72 hrs for each adjustment to see how it plays out.

*Currently I have a PB and Yellow Tang, both adults in addition to a coral beauty, juvie Heni, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower blenny (Thank you Blue Zoo for the gift), and an Orchid dottyback.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most UV sterilizers are designed to be mounted vertically to avoid air getting trapped inside. Trapping air can cause things to heat up and damage the UV.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on my 120 and it does a fairly good job at clarifying the water. It won’t eradicate ich especially since there is a substrate bound phase. IIRC there was a study showing that the typical setup would take 1000 years before every drop of water passed through the UV chamber.

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most UV sterilizers are designed to be mounted vertically to avoid air getting trapped inside. Trapping air can cause things to heat up and damage the UV.
I have water flowing from the top per good folks at BRStv to negate that issue and I also tilted the return upwards a bit to help move any air in case there is some there. Would be nice to have see-thru sterilizers to see what's actually is happening there, probably not a good idea thou.

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on my 120 and it does a fairly good job at clarifying the water. It won’t eradicate ich especially since there is a substrate bound phase. IIRC there was a study showing that the typical setup would take 1000 years before every drop of water passed through the UV chamber.
dang, someone has too much time on their hands. I will put it in my will for future generations to keep a journal on my uv unit.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have water flowing from the top per good folks at BRStv to negate that issue and I also tilted the return upwards a bit to help move any air in case there is some there. Would be nice to have see-thru sterilizers to see what's actually is happening there, probably not a good idea thou.
BRS does produce some good videos on UVs or just equipment in general. I have adapted the ugly but easy in-tank close loop system scheme.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't run a tank without one....helps in a lot of ways with very little maintenance. There is a reason most coral farms, zoos, etc run them :)

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS does produce some good videos on UVs or just equipment in general. I have adapted the ugly but easy in-tank close loop system scheme.
I will check it out. I am not married to the current set up, it was just the easiest for someone with two left hands.

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see their math.
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV lights are highly useful in clarifying the water column . Whether they can or cannot irradiate ick is a mute point since if it does , it would and can only affect what is in the water passing through / by the UV light . It would not affect substrate, glass , etc.

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on the flow rate of my unit for algae and bacteria? I am running 1000 gph through a 36-inch 40-watt sterilizer.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV lights are highly useful in clarifying the water column . Whether they can or cannot irradiate ick is a moot point since if it does , it would and can only affect what is in the water passing through / by the UV light . It would not affect substrate, glass , etc.
How about its effectiveness to manage or prevent bacterial infection?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was see thru , it would blind you

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on the flow rate of my unit for algae and bacteria? I am running 1000 gph through a 36-inch 40-watt sterilizer.
Slow the flow down to between 200gph and 250 gph The longer the contact with the bulb the better it’s efficiency. I run mine off a manifold so that I can control the flow in the UV and not changing the normal flow of the tank

Last edited:

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to make sense
All about total dose. Does not really matter.
i did quite a bit of research when I installed my aqua UV 25w and decided that 400GPH was the right number but can’t find that source now. A little google search on Humblefish yields the following. Should be useful!

Attachments

• IMG_0853.jpeg
    IMG_0853.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 30

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back