Experimenting with US Sterilizer

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could make them out of glass with a dichroic filter but don’t think masses want to pay thousands for a housing so a few people can watch water flow through a pipe :face-with-monocle:
I once was thinking about buying a used UV unit and exchanged some text messages with the seller. I asked to see a vid showing it lights up so he proceeded to take the 8 or 15W UV bulb out of the sleeve, plugged it in, recorded it while not wearing any eye protection…., I had to buy the unit after his sacrifice.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow the flow down to between 200gph and 250 gph The longer the contact with the bulb the better it’s efficiency
Wouldn’t that also heat up the bulb excessively?

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to make sense

i did quite a bit of research when I installed my aqua UV 25w and decided that 400GPH was the right number but can’t find that source now. A little google search on Humblefish yields the following. Should be useful!
Thank you

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t that also heat up the bulb excessively?
Bulb is not, should not, be in contact with water. It’s the sleeve. The amount of heat 200g of water can absorb is more than enough.
I once was thinking about buying a used UV unit and exchanged some text messages with the seller. I asked to see a vid showing it lights up so he proceeded to take the 8 or 15W UV bulb out of the sleeve, plugged it in, recorded it while not wearing any eye protection…., I had to buy the unit after his sacrifice.

Not much different than walking outside without sunglasses.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulb is not, should not, be in contact with water. It’s the sleeve. The amount of heat 200g of water can absorb is more than enough.

Right.., bulb cannot be in contact with water. Talking about electrocution!! But wouldn’t the sleeve that shields the uv bulb be cooled convectively and that cooling effect passes on to the UV bulb? Granted it’s not an 1 to 1 cooling effect but it must help to manage bulb temp.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Almost all of the UVC is blocked from reaching earth’s surface in the upper atmosphere

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all of the UVC is blocked from reaching earth’s surface in the upper atmosphere

Agreed. And UV-b/an are non-ionizing… because sunscreen screen is a deep state conspiracy. Kidding aside again it’s total dose. We are exposed everyday to countless things that in a certain dose will kill us. Fun fact: 10 spoons of table salt has an LD50 for average adult.

reefkeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effects of a correctly-sized UV sterilizer on clarity of the water column cannot be overstated, IMO. I run a Coralife Turbo Twist 6X on my Reefer 170 and the results speak for themselves.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effects of a correctly-sized UV sterilizer on clarity of the water column cannot be overstated, IMO. I run a Coralife Turbo Twist 6X on my Reefer 170 and the results speak for themselves.

How do you keep the turbo twist from corroding on the sleeve seal?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. And UV-b/an are non-ionizing… because sunscreen screen is a deep state conspiracy. Kidding aside again it’s total dose. We are exposed everyday to countless things that in a certain dose will kill us. Fun fact: 10 spoons of table salt has an LD50 for average adult.
Gotcha. Didn’t want others to think it’s ok to expose themselves to UVC.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Didn’t want others to think it’s ok to expose themselves to UVC.

Didn’t calculate entire frequency range but at 24” it’s ~ 1:30 sun at solar noon vs UV bulb. Before anyone asks I used 0.5mW/cm2 for solar noon and 10000.0mW/cm2 for the bulb at 260nm. So two minutes @24” is roughly the same as standing outside for an hour. Not exactly melt your face off but it’s easy to avoid.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t calculate entire frequency range but at 24” it’s ~ 1:30 sun at solar noon vs UV bulb. Before anyone asks I used 0.5mW/cm2 for solar noon and 10000.0mW/cm2 for the bulb at 260nm. So two minutes @24” is roughly the same as standing outside for an hour. Not exactly melt your face off but it’s easy to avoid.
I will trust your math or heat transfer calculation or whatever this is called. Lol

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: return from UV sterilizer directly into return pump chamber …. Depending on location/setup of your ATO float valve, this may be an issue.

reefkeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep the turbo twist from corroding on the sleeve seal?
Well shoot, that's a new thing I need to be concerned about now that I wasn't aware of.

Mine has been in place for about 2 years with no issues with that particular seal, although one of the fittings for the inlet tubing did crack in a way that could have generated a bad leak. Thankfully where the sterilizer was positioned in my sump the resulting leak ran back down the tube and into the sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back