expired turbo starter?

QFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 4oz Fritz Turbo 900 at LFS, all of their stock bottles had a best used by date of 12/7/21. I research and found that it has a 6ish months shelf life refrigerated. now is 8/7/21. It smells really funky, but I use it anyways. is this something I should be worried about? I'm planning to set up a 10g QT tank too and if I should use the leftover?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use it all
If you put in 1ppm ammonia. Something like Dr Tims. Test the level then test in 1 week If in 1 week the level goes down you know the bacterai in that stinky bottle was still good

OP
OP
QFlo

QFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use it all
If you put in 1ppm ammonia. Something like Dr Tims. Test the level then test in 1 week If in 1 week the level goes down you know the bacterai in that stinky bottle was still good
ok, gotcha. thanks... I will keep updated. i remember one of the employees was a bit surprised when I brought the date up, then she just says it can last yrs?!?!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no they have a legit expiry date but then again i used to drink gallons of choc milk for ten cents as a youth bc expired 2 days/still nice. its not that we were shopping for chocolate milk but when its ten cents are you going to not buy it

I like Lapin's assessment. you'll see movement down in a few days if its legit/any cells left.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, gotcha. thanks... I will keep updated. i remember one of the employees was a bit surprised when I brought the date up, then she just says it can last yrs?!?!

She does not know what she is talking about then.

I hope they were just not storing it on shelves or wherever.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back