Exquisite Firefish dead overnight.

thelongfloater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pretty baby seemed to die overnight! I am new to the hobby. I don’t have any pictures of it suffering, but last night it was swimming on the ground and I noticed the crest of its fins seemed ripped in one area. I wasn’t sure what to do so I figured I’d observe it for another day before taking action. Woke up this morning to my hermit crabs eating him. I’m so sad. Another question is do I need to immediately do a water change? My clowns and spotted mandarin fish seem happy as ever. I always do meaty feedings. I lost a hermit crab the other day. Is this related? This is my first live stock stock death.

CFDEFB02-9A85-4CB9-8C14-0842E0197A66.png

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

Without pictures or other indicators, diagnosis at this point is impossible.
I assume your water parameters are all good? The tank has cycled? No ammonia? No parasites obvious on other fish?
I also assume you haven't had the fish very long given you are new to the hobby.
Unless something is out of line, no need for water change.

If you wish to share more info, we can critique your methods / actions to advise if anything looks out of line, other wise, unfortunately deaths of new fish occasionally occur.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From your description, it was likely aggression and likely the larger of the two clowns which is the female which claims a hierarchy and try to claim an area of the tank or even the whole tank
Best way to tell is- if you ever introduce another fish, set your phone on video mode and record tank for 30-45 mins
YOU MUST WALK AWAY- somehow they know you’re there.
Feed tank before you leave as an aggressive fish will try to claim all the food
Come back and review video and you should be able to see your culprit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pretty baby seemed to die overnight! I am new to the hobby. I don’t have any pictures of it suffering, but last night it was swimming on the ground and I noticed the crest of its fins seemed ripped in one area. I wasn’t sure what to do so I figured I’d observe it for another day before taking action. Woke up this morning to my hermit crabs eating him. I’m so sad. Another question is do I need to immediately do a water change? My clowns and spotted mandarin fish seem happy as ever. I always do meaty feedings. I lost a hermit crab the other day. Is this related? This is my first live stock stock death.

CFDEFB02-9A85-4CB9-8C14-0842E0197A66.png

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry to hear about the firefish. As mentioned, we would need more background information to try and figure out want went wrong, and if that may involve your other animals at some point. The post linked here gives som hints as to how to provide that information:

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
T

thelongfloater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank. I do 30% water changes weekly. Parameters are great. It needs to be cleaned, but otherwise is doing great.

Attachments

• 5C2F56B2-A014-4265-9D52-C34E79FD77F3.jpeg
    5C2F56B2-A014-4265-9D52-C34E79FD77F3.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 33

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back