External Algae Scrubber setup question

edsbeaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am installing an algae scrubber on top of my sump. It is an Ice cap pro, and the return pipe is on the side. For ease of maintenance the easiest set up for me would be to orient the scrubber pump to be in the return section of my sump, and the output to be in the skimmer section. I know this isn’t ideal, but curious if this will have any concerning impact on the efficiency of the scrubber or skimmer since I’d be rerouting water from the return section back to the skimmer section. Thoughts?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that setup should be fine. If anything, you’re “double scrubbing” some of the water with this setup which should yield greater nutrient export.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am installing an algae scrubber on top of my sump. It is an Ice cap pro, and the return pipe is on the side. For ease of maintenance the easiest set up for me would be to orient the scrubber pump to be in the return section of my sump, and the output to be in the skimmer section. I know this isn’t ideal, but curious if this will have any concerning impact on the efficiency of the scrubber or skimmer since I’d be rerouting water from the return section back to the skimmer section. Thoughts?
I use mine the same way. Works great no worries.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back