External overflow Plumbing

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a used 180 gallon Eurobraced tank, it has an external Bean Animal overflow built into the tank , two returns on rear sides of tank.

My question is that I need to install the tank close as I can to a wall in a living room and I am hesitant that plumbing it will be a pain and maybe next to impossible. Has anyone encountered such an issue and have you had any success with it?

I have attached some photos, looks like previously used flex tubing (vinyl hose ) for plumbing it, I was going to use PVC with unions and hard plumb it but debating on using the vinyl hose and adding a gate valve to adjust flow under the tank in cabinet. I found someone to build me a wood cabinet for it .

The tank has been empty for over three years in temp control storage. I am a bit concerned using it after sitting so long dry

123_1.jpg 123_1_02.jpg 123_1_03.jpg 123_1_01.jpg

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I get a new (or new to me) tank I set it up in the garage and wet test it there for a month or so.

My tank is nowhere near that big, but I have an external overflow and I also put the tank as close as possible to the wall. I used hard pvc going straight down to unions just below the bottom of the stand shelf (so I can reach them from the sump area), then bending under the tank with 45 degree elbows to angle into the sump.

I got all the plumbing glued in place in the garage while I had easy access to all sides, then let it run for a few weeks to make sure there were no leaks, then drained and moved it into the house.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I get a new (or new to me) tank I set it up in the garage and wet test it there for a month or so.

My tank is nowhere near that big, but I have an external overflow and I also put the tank as close as possible to the wall. I used hard pvc going straight down to unions just below the bottom of the stand shelf (so I can reach them from the sump area), then bending under the tank with 45 degree elbows to angle into the sump.

I got all the plumbing glued in place in the garage while I had easy access to all sides, then let it run for a few weeks to make sure there were no leaks, then drained and moved it into the house.
Yeah , I wish I had a garage and on top of that we live in New England. So freezing cold out right now too so can do it outside.

The tank itself weighs a ton , so hard to keep moving around

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back