EXTREMELY HIGH IRON AND ZINC

Hudsonfo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an ICP test as my green dallas acropora was turning brown, polyps still colourful, but main body is brown. All other LPS - hammers, corals etc still look great.

However, ICP came back with a level of 50ug/l iron and 25ug/l zinc; molybdenum also higher than it should be, aswell as low iodine.

My tank is fairly new, RO reads 0TDS, all equipment new, and good quality.

Could it be from dosing chaeto grow that this has happened? i have had chaeto grow being added on an automated doser, but also dosing calcium with trace (which i know realise has iron in it too...)?

I there a chance that my acropora can recover its original colour if i get my parameters back on track; and is browning something that may be seen with high iron?

OP
OP
Hudsonfo

Hudsonfo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters like? Maybe post the full results of the ICP test.
in general mostly everything else seems good,

phosphate most of the time has been around 0.02-0.05; although a bit lower in this test;
alk - 8.6, but i did have a spike with an accidental overdose over a few days to 9.6 due to a bad hanna reagent.
nitrates - 3-7ppm, mag 1350, cal 430, salinity 1.026,

only other thing could be the light setting affecting acropora...maybe needs to be higher - but seneye says PAR 350 at upper levels of tank, but iv heard they arent very accurate. using ai hydra 32 x3, 150CM wide tank and 57cm depth - about 30cm off water level. set at 100% Blues, violet, 75% uv, 5% green and red and 10% white. 10am on, 2 hour ramp up, 7 hours on full and then ramp down until 10pm

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back