Extremely high Manganese

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just got my results back from ICP analysis and everythings was okayish besides a wayyyy to high manganese reading. I am not sure how, but my manganese readings are almost 10000% too high. I would think that it is a measuring error but they measure it in duplo. Can anyone tell me how this is possible. Besides a massive cyano outbreak there are no major problems in my tank atm.

Thanks!

IMG_7804.png

Rothric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about this myself. Just got my 1st ICP and my manganese was at 4.3 ppb, above the recommended 1.5 ppb.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about this myself. Just got my 1st ICP and my manganese was at 4.3 ppb, above the recommended 1.5 ppb.

That difference is not significant to me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just got my results back from ICP analysis and everythings was okayish besides a wayyyy to high manganese reading. I am not sure how, but my manganese readings are almost 10000% too high. I would think that it is a measuring error but they measure it in duplo. Can anyone tell me how this is possible. Besides a massive cyano outbreak there are no major problems in my tank atm.

Thanks!

IMG_7804.png

I don’t know if it is a problem, but are you dosing any trace elements?

Any metal parts in the tank?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly, trusting ICP Analysis is like trusting gas station sushi. Might be good, might kill you. Likely not what you want to hear but their track record is abysmal to say the least.

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it is a problem, but are you dosing any trace elements?

Any metal parts in the tank?
Not exposed per say but there are some incased magnets in there. I could check for any oxidation however I couldn’t really find that there is any manganese in magnets. I am however dosing some alk (aquaforest KH+) because my alk dropped to 5ish.

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, trusting ICP Analysis is like trusting gas station sushi. Might be good, might kill you. Likely not what you want to hear but their track record is abysmal to say the least.
Not doing it at icp analysis haha. I do my testing at fauna marin. Sorry for the confusion

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you happen to change water shortly before collecting a sample? New water can be high in manganese in my experience. It quickly depletes though
thats a good one. I did do a waterchange an hour prior. I’ve read that there are a lot of anti-caking agents in salts containing manganese.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a good one. I did do a waterchange an hour prior. I’ve read that there are a lot of anti-caking agents in salts containing manganese.

FWIW, I've not heard that and it sounds unusual to me. Are you sure you aren't thinking of products such as magnesium silicate or magnesium stearate?

These summaries of anti caking agents don't include manganese.

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I've not heard that and it sounds unusual to me. Are you sure you aren't thinking of products such as magnesium silicate or magnesium stearate?

Oh sorry you are right, it says this: Value too high: Control of the sea salt (component of the auxiliary agent for the pourability), reduction of the addition dosage, partial water change, avoid values above 5 µg/l Filtering via Zeolight or Phos. Manganese precipitates extremely fast in sea water.

Not sure what is meant by it though

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry you are right, it says this: Value too high: Control of the sea salt (component of the auxiliary agent for the pourability), reduction of the addition dosage, partial water change, avoid values above 5 µg/l Filtering via Zeolight or Phos. Manganese precipitates extremely fast in sea water.

Not sure what is meant by it though

My guess is they made the mistake I suggested, but it is possible they know something I am unaware of with anticaking agents.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

In the future, I would wait at least 48 hours after a water change to collect an ICP sample to be sent off. Most of the salts I tested in my Ultimate Salt Test* showed manganese around 50-100ug/l with some as high as 169. This could certainly "spike" your manganese on an ICP test if the sample is collected shortly after.

*This is assuming we can trust the results.

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I won’t over react, ga as usual and do another icp test somewhere in the near future

Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After testing 2x at 6 months apart, immediately after a water change, my manganese levels were super "high" according to Fauna Marin ICP. Just got my results back on a third test done 2 days after a water change. Manganese was undetectable. Interestingly, iron was as well and in my last 2 tests there were really "high." I've asked them to review the data on iron.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back