Extremely low pH in new reef tank

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I set up a new system after moving, which is a 25-gallon Waterbox peninsula. The system has been cycling for about 2 months. I have two medium-sized clownfish and a royal gramma which were added to the tank after about a week of cycling. The lights have yet to be turned on. I recently purchased a new pH probe as I did not want to reuse a lot of the equipment from my old tank as it was needing to be replaced. I am getting readings of about 7.4 on average, but this morning awoke to find my tank at about 7. I tested the accuracy of the probe last night by following another forum about aerating the water outside for a while and reading the pH value with the probe. That test yielded a pH of about 7.9. I believe I have ample surface agitation as I have two max spec gyres running in the system, the return pump, and a reef glass nano protein skimmer. I think I am facing a CO2 issue in my home, which was built in 2017, and is constantly sealed up due to hot temperatures outside. I am trying to find out a way in which I can draw fresh air from outside, at least into the skimmer, but with the home's layout, it is not going to be easy. Would a CO2 scrubbing using the "beta" method be an option for the reef nano skimmer, or are there any other ways I could decrease my home's CO2 content without raising the energy bill/indoor temperature drastically? Will this extremely low pH be harmful to my cycle and fish in the system? I have attached the graph from my Apex, the large spike on the right from 5 to 8ish was during installation and calibration. The Apex was reading a pH of roughly 5 without a probe installed. Thanks for any input.

apex ph graph.JPG

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some more information. I am using RO/DI water. It is a BRS 150GPD water saver, with one sediment filter, two carbon blocks, BRS cation resin, BRS anion resin, and two BRS mixed resins. Pressure reads about 55 on the unit using a booster pump. I use Fritz RPM Pro salt. Salinity is roughly 1.026 using a hydrometer. Yes I know they are inaccurate, it was all I could find in my new town, currently have a new refractometer being shipped. I do not have reagent available for my hanna alk checker, a calcium test, or magnesium test yet, they are also being shipped.

Nitrate: ~2 (Salifert)
Nitrite: None (Salifert)
Ammonia: None (Salifert)

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. While not as low as yours, mine swings wildly between day and night. I've tried telling the wife to stop breathing but she just says something that sounds like 'cough'.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back