Eye ball method

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to mostly agree as I can tell whats off when its off but you can not tell by how much without testing and as I said before if your plannjng to dose anything you have to test to find out how much needs to be added I'm not saying that you dont need to test I'm only saying you dont need to test as much as some ppl say you do and more often then not the tank will show you somthing is off long before the test will expecially if using cheap testing kits that are unreliable
This is exactly what I've been saying all along, and I quote myself here...
You can honestly tell me that you can look at a coral and tell if it needs more alkalinity?

But you just wanted to argue with me.

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tanks evolve over time and what has worked for 6 months may nkt work anymlre becouse thinhs have grown and now use more then they jsed to

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I've been saying all along, and I quote myself here...

But you just wanted to argue with me.
Not trying to argue with you but yes I can tell when it's off and needs more and at that point I test to find out how much I was never saying I could tell the amount its off or how much to add only that it is off and needs to be checked you said that I couldnt tell when its off I was simply stating I can tell when it's off without testing

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the proff will be in the pudding and I'll rehash this topic in a few years just to show everyone it can be done if you know what to look for and setup everything correctly
I will say right now that I know it can be done. I used to think just like you. I went a good 10 years without testing anything and my tank ran well. But as an engineer, I have learned that data rules the day. I thought I knew what I was doing and everything was going well, until I bought some test kits and started looking at things. I was shocked when I took my first alkalinity test and got this reading. This was back in May, and that tank picture is from July. So things aren't always as they seem. It took about 25 teaspoons of baking soda to get my alk back into a normal range. And it was the alkalinity reading that lead me to recalibrating my calcium reactor. Without the alk meter, it's pretty difficult to know what the alk rate of your effluent is to adjust it. So, data and tools are always good, even for people that have been running reef tanks for 23 years.
7c7cfd37-7be1-4fc9-b776-8494e7ac9f06-jpeg.1571484

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess after going back and reading my posts, as well as yours, we were both saying the same thing but in different ways.

Yes you can tell when something is off, but by how much you cannot tell by just eyeballing it. You have tio test to know how much you need to add or remove.

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess after going back and reading my posts, as well as yours, we were both saying the same thing but in different ways.

Yes you can tell when something is off, but by how much you cannot tell by just eyeballing it. You have tio test to know how much you need to add or remove.
100 % agree with you right there and it's most likly my fault I have a hard time conveying what I mean you definatly have to test once you see somthing is off to know exactly how much to add otherwise you will crash your tank

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a that guy but a little punctuation would sure help a lot.

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to argue with you but yes I can tell when it's off and needs more and at that point I test to find out how much I was never saying I could tell the amount its off or how much to add only that it is off and needs to be checked you said that I couldnt tell when its off I was simply stating I can tell when it's off without testing

You said you test your tank once a year.

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you test your tank once a year.
Not entirly sure what that has to do with anything I also stated that once I see somthing off I test for that specific thing to know how much to raise or subtract I never said I dont test I only said I mainly use sight to see when somthing off rather then a daily weekly etc testing

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm trying to say is I use the eyeball method to see when I need to test rather then testing all the time and chasing small fluctuations which in turn can make things worse rather then better

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my welcome post to explain why punctuation hurts me
I struggled through your "Hello" post and saw nothing to explain it-maybe I missed it. Not sure why it "hurts" to hit the occasional period, comma and space bar but it's up to you, it sure makes it easier for people to read and comprehend your post/s.

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled through your "Hello" post and saw nothing to explain it-maybe I missed it. Not sure why it "hurts" to hit the occasional period, comma and space bar but it's up to you, it sure makes it easier for people to read and comprehend your post/s.
Again read welcome post its right at the top and you saying you didnt see a reason why just shows you did not even bother to read the very first post about why I'm like this also u saying its up to me is compleatly incorrect enless you can figure out how to give me a new fully functioning brain while keeping my personality and memory intact

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Heres the link

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ok, I didn't find that post. I apologize for giving you a little lip-now I feel like a turd. ;Blackeye

When you said "Holy run on sentence batman" it cracked me up! That's exactly what I almost said in my first post but decided against it.

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ok, I didn't find that post. I apologize for giving you a little lip-now I feel like a turd. ;Blackeye

When you said "Holy run on sentence batman" it cracked me up! That's exactly what I almost said in my first post but decided against it.
My bad I assumed thats the one you read sry for being a d I c k have a good rest of your day

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back