OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now it’s just been buying crickets at the bait shop in town and feeding him. Whenever I get a chance I’m gonna build him a bigger cage using parts of his current cage. Here’s the blueprints:
E09C230F-CE20-4135-A277-C1B83CFBBCF7.jpeg

Yeah I know they’re grainy but it won’t upload in better quality :mad:

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now it’s just been buying crickets at the bait shop in town and feeding him. Whenever I get a chance I’m gonna build him a bigger cage using parts of his current cage. Here’s the blueprints:
E09C230F-CE20-4135-A277-C1B83CFBBCF7.jpeg

Yeah I know they’re grainy but it won’t upload in better quality :mad:
Some of us have had reptiles far longer than fish!
I am really considering the custom cage route for my two bearded dragons (mother leatherback named Sasha and "baby" leatherback heterozygous for hypomelanism named Arthur (Pendragon)). They are currently each in a 40-breeder aquarium/terrarium, but they are just kind of existing right now since my time is spent on other interests which robs from my interest in the dragons.

I've considered chameleons but have never had one yet. Your veiled chameleon looks very cool!

Do you have any way of knowing if bait-shop crickets are gut-loaded and nutritious or if they have any internal parasites?

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us have had reptiles far longer than fish!
I am really considering the custom cage route for my two bearded dragons (mother leatherback named Sasha and "baby" leatherback heterozygous for hypomelanism named Arthur (Pendragon)). They are currently each in a 40-breeder aquarium/terrarium, but they are just kind of existing right now since my time is spent on other interests which robs from my interest in the dragons.

I've considered chameleons but have never had one yet. Your veiled chameleon looks very cool!

Do you have any way of knowing if bait-shop crickets are gut-loaded and nutritious or if they have any internal parasites?
If you do a custom cage definitely post pictures!!!!!!! I love seeing custom cages they always come out really cool.

And thank you! I was looking at simple pets and praying on it and the dude I buy coral from posted a veiled chameleon with full enclosure for sale for $200 and I was like yep that’s a sign lol.

I’m unsure if they’re gut loaded, they probably are but if not I gut load and dust them. The crickets are really healthy, plump and juicy right when I buy them though. I get them at a local ammo & bait shop, the owners are getting to know me from coming in so often

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a custom cage definitely post pictures!!!!!!! I love seeing custom cages they always come out really cool.

And thank you! I was looking at simple pets and praying on it and the dude I buy coral from posted a veiled chameleon with full enclosure for sale for $200 and I was like yep that’s a sign lol.

I’m unsure if they’re gut loaded, they probably are but if not I gut load and dust them. The crickets are really healthy, plump and juicy right when I buy them though. I get them at a local ammo & bait shop, the owners are getting to know me from coming in so often
If I do build custom cages, it will probably be a year or longer from now since I am so busy with other projects including finishing my house remodel and making progress on my livingroom reef setup. I was recently inspired by researching SerpaDesign's projects, but I'll have to wait.

From my research into reptiles, I always thought chameleons required "advanced" care which is part of why I never got one. With the right setup and enough single focus, it may not be too difficult and probably much easier and cheaper than a reef aquarium!

When I was in high school, I was really into reptiles for a while and started building a herpetarium in my room. What I soon discovered, though, is that the more different types of reptiles I got, the harder it was to provide adequate care for them all. I lost some due to my foolish ambition and learned to keep it simple, which is why I only have the 2 dragons right now for reptiles and I plan to keep it that way. My brother shared fully in the herpetarium. We kept bearded dragons, leopard geckos, American and Bahaman anoles, armadillo lizards, a golden gecko, green iguanas, tiger salamanders, tree frogs, and toads. (I know, the last few are amphibians and not reptiles!)

I could go on too long about all of this...

The crickets are probably fine, especially if you gut-load and dust them yourself. There is more risk usually in the bait-shop crickets than in pet-store crickets (which is why there is usually significant cost difference), but it may be worth the risk.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the tank, that’s unfortunate.

I really like the chameleon! Have you watched him change colors yet?
Yes I actually have! I’ve got an example of the color change here:
82C742BF-3F68-4D66-B611-0EA1FED02322.jpeg

This is when I got him and he was pizzzzedddd
246CABF3-787F-49E7-AF74-D59879BF409E.jpeg

This was him less than an hour later when he was all happy in a pile of plants.
And the other picture (that I already posted) he changed color within a minute or two:
A4E74F71-EBE2-4B70-ACA5-D5891E3D7740.jpeg

D07FA1EF-0A76-4CD2-8C82-A6BB6CD49887.jpeg

The color change can be used to help blend in but it’s primarily a communication method. When he’s angry he turns black when he’s happy he’s bright green and khaki when he’s trying to soak up the sun he’s a dark army green. And it doesn’t happen instantly, but over the span of a few minutes.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do build custom cages, it will probably be a year or longer from now since I am so busy with other projects including finishing my house remodel and making progress on my livingroom reef setup. I was recently inspired by researching SerpaDesign's projects, but I'll have to wait.

From my research into reptiles, I always thought chameleons required "advanced" care which is part of why I never got one. With the right setup and enough single focus, it may not be too difficult and probably much easier and cheaper than a reef aquarium!

When I was in high school, I was really into reptiles for a while and started building a herpetarium in my room. What I soon discovered, though, is that the more different types of reptiles I got, the harder it was to provide adequate care for them all. I lost some due to my foolish ambition and learned to keep it simple, which is why I only have the 2 dragons right now for reptiles and I plan to keep it that way. My brother shared fully in the herpetarium. We kept bearded dragons, leopard geckos, American and Bahaman anoles, armadillo lizards, a golden gecko, green iguanas, tiger salamanders, tree frogs, and toads. (I know, the last few are amphibians and not reptiles!)

I could go on too long about all of this...

The crickets are probably fine, especially if you gut-load and dust them yourself. There is more risk usually in the bait-shop crickets than in pet-store crickets (which is why there is usually significant cost difference), but it may be worth the risk.
Woah! I could never have so many pets. I’d feel smothered lololol
And he is very low maintenance, give him food every other day, empty his drip pan and fill his dripper daily. The cage I’m building won’t have a drip pan to empty because it’ll have a drain installed And water will be drained outside :D so even less work then. They don’t even need a heat lamp all the time, I don’t run mine now cause it’s summer but I will during the winter. And the bait shop crickets I made sure there was nothing on them, and the owners asked what I was feeding the first time I went so apparently other people use their crickets for reptiles

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breed your own Dubai roaches. Super easy and you don't have to run for crickets all the time. Plus they're higher in nutrition compared to crickets

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breed your own Dubai roaches. Super easy and you don't have to run for crickets all the time. Plus they're higher in nutrition compared to crickets
They are also better for the digestive system

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H.ell no I ain’t bringin’ them d’amn things in ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BB1161FA-1873-498D-97CD-2E7776907810.jpeg

He can control his rib cage and will change it’s shape and sometimes he gives himself a beer belly and it makes me uncomfortable to look at
They won't reproduce in the house they need a constant temp and advaible food. Thats not something that is readily advisable to them in most homes.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't reproduce in the house they need a constant temp and advaible food. Thats not something that is readily advisable to them in most homes.
Yeah but still I hate these stupid crickets they’re gross smelly and annoying in so many ways and there is no way I will let roaches in.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but still I hate these stupid crickets they’re gross smelly and annoying in so many ways and there is no way I will let roaches in.
The roaches actually don't smell at all in comparison. I was breeding them for awhile when I had my frilled dragon. Before I found out I was allergic to roaches.....

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The roaches actually don't smell at all in comparison. I was breeding them for awhile when I had my frilled dragon. Before I found out I was allergic to roaches.....
These guys don't smell.
Yeah but they’re still friggin nasty and I don’t like them. I do like bugs, when they’re dead, disinfected, and pinned in a shadow box on my wall. I am only tolerant of these nasty butt crickets because they’re what Van likes to eat. Roaches ain’t happening. Even if I did want to get roaches my parents will not let roaches in this house.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back