Failing Upwards Mr. Aqua 12g Reef Toe Dipping

FailingUpwards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one may be a little verbose and scattered......

First off, hello everyone and welcome to my insanit....sani.....build thread (yeah, that's it).

Let me introduce myself a little. I've been in the FW planted side for a few years and decided to dip my toe into the Reef side. I've been drooling over much of the marine fauna for years, but was never willing to justify the expense of starting up a Reef tank. After a couple of years of learning I found that in all honesty you don't need to invest thousands of dollars for a successful reef tank.

So after a couple of moves and having a free tank, as well as time, I decided to start that journey.

My plan:
Use one of the tanks that I've lugged across the US twice, keep it small for now in case I need to pack it up and move it (hoping to buy a house in the next year), learn from it and see how much I enjoy it.

First step was to figure out which tank to use based on space consideration and what I could use from what I had already.

So digging through the garage I found a wire shelving rack that was in pieces, looked up the system and found it was rated to 300lbs per rack. Alright, something I can work with! So assemble the shelving rack and level it. Took some 3/4" plywood and put it on the associated shelf as well as a cheap yoga mat to place under the tank. But wait, what tank to use? Choice time between the 12g or 22g (also a Mr. Aqua, yes I like those tanks). So figuring about 140lbs total for the 12g and 250lbs for the 22g, I decided to play it save and go with the 12g.

So going forward, I needed flow and lighting. Jump on to Amazon and found a cheap 36" wide LED marine light, some power heads and an AC70 to act as a fuge. Next up, heaters...but I don't want much more in the tank. Oh wait, mini fuge, find one(s) to to in the AC70 -> Neo Therm x 2.

So that means we're here:
39855925785_4b825dcb8b_c.jpg

Made the decision to go ahead and get an RO/DI unit and all the fittings.

OK, next up was rock and sand. Which sand? I didn't have a clue. Finally decided on Hawaiian black for the sand and going with wild live rock (Tampa Bay Salt Water) and enjoy the process of discovery.

But wait, I'm dealing with a nano-tank and I'm considering gobies! That means an ATO and a screen.
OK, how much for an ATO.....oh god the wallet......
Wait, you're an electrical engineer (/slap) make an ATO yourself. Alright, gravity fed with a solenoid it is!
So using a PICC microcontroller as well as a 0 PSI capable solenoid. OK, design the PCB and solder up the components....well, poop. Need to rev the PCB.

While waiting for the second rev of the PCB, I decided to tackle the screen. Found the diy kits at HD and remembered someone using tulle instead of screen material. The first attempt was of a single screen with a cutout for the HOB and ATO float switch but I found that was not structurally sound and then went with 3 rectangular screens with acrylic epoxied to the outer 2 screen to help support the third.

25879659987_b3f577204f_c.jpg

Waited another week, the PCBs showed up, got them together and programmed and away we go.

Oh wait, haven't bought sand or ordered my rocks yet.
Great, local Petco has the sand and placed the order with Richard. Started hitting up the local stores to find out who is good or not and find that in my area it just isn't good.

Get a reply back from Richard saying it's going to be a little bit (weather issues) so I go to the good "store" nearest me and pick up some flat sided dead rock so at least I can build a base and add my sand. I say store because it's a couple of guys trying to get their store going (awesome on the corals, but competition from the big online store owned by Bezos). Make up my water, toss my rocks in, put in the sand and fill.

So we're at this point finally:

25879659897_f590617091_c.jpg

Tossed in a bag of chemi-pure and we'll see how it goes. Going to does a small amount of ammonia to start the cycle but will start the cycle in force when the wild rock shows up.

So at this point I'm at:
38942283920_ef99e8a951_c.jpg

Testing to commence tonight.

OP
OP
FailingUpwards

FailingUpwards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So started testing:
S.G. 1.025
Mg 1170
Cal 380
Alk 10.15
pH 7.4

First time using Salifert so results may be off a little.

OP
OP
FailingUpwards

FailingUpwards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my rocks from Tampa Bay SW arrived today and while I ordered 15 lbs, I think I got closer to 20. I've identified some good hitchikers (sponges and a few feather worms) but I have one mystery guy at this point. I do have to throw a shout-out to Richard and Deb there at TBSW.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FailingUpwards

FailingUpwards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, R2R really seems to not like my posts........

Let's see if I can finish what I was trying to say.
First up is the FTS:

39006180470_413d44a005_c.jpg

My mystery hitchhiker I will have to track down and get a picture. Right now I have a really bad phone picture that doesn't show much of anything. Figure a 1/2" wide hairy crab with light colored pinchers (could be gorilla, could be decorator, doesn't appear to be either).

I already know I need new powerheads as I'm blowing everything around rather than letting things settle a little (I think I'm upwards of 1200 gph of flow in that tank.

Next up is to the store for some liquid foods to see if I can keep my barnacles and feather worms.

OP
OP
FailingUpwards

FailingUpwards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking back at my first post.....yeah. I need to remember not to post after DST and no caffeine.

And after looking at the hitchhikers I'm SOOOOO looking for a good macro lens for my DSLR (Not sure I can afford $500 right now)

After a few days with the wild stuff:
Good hitchhikers:
Asterea Snails X 5
Cup Coral
purple sponge
A few feather worms
Couple of patches of tunicates
Live barnacles galore
Some brittle stars

The Maybe
May be some shrimp larvae, may be a pod, small white, two small black eyes trying to crawl on the sand.

The Bad
1 Gorilla Crab (he was only about 1/2" wide when I saw him gonna leave him in there to help clean up for a while)
Aiptasia (yup, in bad places on the rocks -- gonna go the peppermint shrimp route since I was contemplating one anyway)

So I have to toss down a hardware list since I didn't do that previously:
Mr. Aqua 12G long (36" X 10" X 8")
AC70 with all media removed, some rock rubble, heaters and Chemi-pure in it.
Magnetic Surface Skimmer (Overflow box for the AC70)
Neo Therm heaters X 2
Sun Sun 500 gph power heads X 2 (These are going to be replaced soon)
Lightmetunnel Light
DIY ATO system (yes, as per above I made my own)

OP
OP
FailingUpwards

FailingUpwards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was lucky. Was out going to the local aquarium store, well the only store and the wife called me.

Evidentally one of the rocks fell over and created enough of a wave that the cascading effect caused water to slosh over the top. Water dripped down onto a power strip for something else had the resulting magic smoke and colors. Only loss appears to be the strip (Thanking my lucky Irish stars).

OP
OP
FailingUpwards

FailingUpwards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let's see....

DIATOM BLOOM!

Found myself a limpet today, otherwise ghost feeding and doing water changes to get my nitrates down.

OP
OP
FailingUpwards

FailingUpwards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AC 70? Took the media basket apart, siliconed the bottom mesh part to the output flow area and tossed in my 2 Neotherm heaters plus some rock rubble in a mesh bag. Nothing major to speak of.

OP
OP
FailingUpwards

FailingUpwards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those long shallow tanks! We need more pics!

Diatom bloom and probably a little cyano. No pictures for now of the tank. Been going through the hitchhiker ID process as well.

Not to mention Flickr is being a real PITA at the moment.

OP
OP
FailingUpwards

FailingUpwards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit the milestone today of Nitrates below 5, and Phosphate below 0.05 on the Salifert kits.

Cyano phase is over and into the hair algae.

Started stocking
5 blue legged hermits
2 trochus snails
bottle of trigger pods
and now dosing Phytoplankton.

Hopefully I can get a good pic of the star horseshoe worm that I found.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome little setup you have going on, following along! I too love the long shallow tanks

OP
OP
FailingUpwards

FailingUpwards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, couple of additions, two generic Zoa colonies and a Duncan. Will try to get pictures when the Duncan decides to show itself.

Also, took out my two Sun Sun 512gph power heads and replaced them with two Hydor 240 gph power heads.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back