Fairy Wrasse Strange Behavior

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my first fairy wrasse from my LFS this past weekend. It’s been in QT for 5 days. The wrasse mostly lays on the bottom and sometimes does this (see picture)???? I have never owned a wrasse before. Is this normal behavior? My water parameters are good and he’s eating. Just not sure what he is doing. I’m worried he is going to die.

7064F8D0-D3DA-4A15-8234-AEF85FBCCDBB.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the fourth case of this I’ve heard about in the past few months (one in our own tank). I wish I knew what causes this. Make sure the wrasse has enough hiding places: 3 of the cases were just bare bottom tanks with pvc pipes to hide in. I ended if inert silica sand on the bottom would make it feel more secure?
Jay

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen with an orange-back last year. It still tried to eat, but it had lost equilibrium. I wonder if it tried to jump and hit the lid, as it didn't show symptoms in the first few hours.

It would try to swim a bit occasionally, but often at the angle yours is. He made it about 4 weeks in a 10 gallon by himself. Sorry man, hopefully yours turns around.

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s QT so I have no sand. I have 2 large pvc pipes that he lays against. Fairy wrasses are not burrowers so I didn’t think it was necessary. I thinking of doing a water change.

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasse is not doing well. I did an 80% water change yesterday. Added some Seachem stress guard and some stability. He is turning white near his tail. My water parameters are still good. I cant figure out what’s wrong with him. HELP!?

347E5463-D67F-4CD1-9B73-2CFA72085DD7.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s QT so I have no sand. I have 2 large pvc pipes that he lays against. Fairy wrasses are not burrowers so I didn’t think it was necessary. I thinking of doing a water change.

Correct, they don't burrow, but I worry that the reflection from a bare glass bottom is stressful, and PVC pipe doesn't really give them the caves they prefer to hide in.

The pic you just posted shows a pretty serious infection; bacterial or Uronema and both in combination.
What meds do you have on hand?

Jay

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran out to tonight to my local Petsmart and got some EM erythromycin. Going to LFS tomorrow to get some MetroPlex and Focus.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful to monitor your ammonia level f you use the erythromycin , it can damage your biofilter.

Jay

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this normal behavior?
No - stress coloration there, and far from upright - both not normal.
I ended if inert silica sand on the bottom would make it feel more secure?
I've never seen Cirrhilabrus pay any mind to the presence or absence of sand.
but I worry that the reflection from a bare glass bottom is stressful
But that definitely could be a contributor.
This QT looks awfully bright. Dim tanks are often better for QT.

But all that being said, the only time I've seen success stories of a wrasse in this condition is the triple Kana+Furan+Metro combo. However, most don't come back from this condition, I'm afraid to say.

I wish I knew what causes this.
Some have speculated it's neurological. But I'd love to know as well!

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the helpful advice. Unfortunately, he didn’t make it thru the night. My LFS doesn‘t have a guarantee policy either. Makes me question if I should shop around for another supplier.

I typically don’t lose fish. But have never had a wrasse before. This really makes me wonder what I did wrong. My water was 1.025, Temp 77.5. PH 8.3, AK 10.5. No Ammonia. I setup the QT for 1.5 weeks prior using filter media from MT as well as using Seachem stability. It was a bare bottom QT and I did run lights after 48 hours. The lights ran 8 hours a day. I didn’t see any disease ie. ich/fluke. He looked healthy when I bought him. I thought it was odd that he would mostly lay on the bottom of the tank. When he started to swim vertically I started thinking he was dying.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had the same happen to me. Got a lubbuck’s fairy wrasse. It stayed in the cave, but lying on the sand for 2 days. Came out of the cave and still stayed close to the sand bed, lying on it. Mine passed away after 3 days. All other fish I added with him and previously are doing just fine.

edit: I got the fish a week back.

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same happen to me. Got a lubbuck’s fairy wrasse. It stayed in the cave, but lying on the sand for 2 days. Came out of the cave and still stayed close to the sand bed, lying on it. Mine passed away after 3 days. All other fish I added with him and previously are doing just fine.

edit: I got the fish a week back.
Sorry you experienced the same problem. That’s odd. I’m thinking I need to stay away from buying fairy wrasses. I don‘t understand their sensitivity.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back