Falco hawkfish and neon dottyback help

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having a problem. I recently added a neon dottyback to my 32 gallon with a clownfish, falco hawkfish, and watchman goby. Ever since then my falco has been very aggresive towards the neon. The clownfish is fine with it. The watchman is fine with it. But my falco's hawkfish is very angry at it. I have heard of neon dottybacks being quite bold but mine is still little. I had no problem adding it because the wierd thing is, my falco hawkfish hasn't shown any aggresion towards other fish. It is hard to watch the brand new neon dottyback getting chased around. he is still little after all. I'm pretty worried about how stressed the neon on is getting and if the fins will get ripped up. Does anyone have any tips on how to combat this aggression? Will it subside?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the trick with the mirror but that may not interest the falco. Does your rock have any caves or crevices the dottyback could hide in that the falco couldn't follow it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This sounds very familiar and to reiterate as I believe this is a cross-post, falcos are known aggressive and can get large and will display such behavior towards certain fish especially smaller, anthias and other hawkfish
You have to decide if it continues, do you place in sump or sell it

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the trick with the mirror but that may not interest the falco. Does your rock have any caves or crevices the dottyback could hide in that the falco couldn't follow it?
Yes. I've seen times when the dottyback darts into the rock and the falco is just too fat to follow : P

I've heard of a trick where you tape a picture of a way bigger hawkfish on the glass and it becomes more docile because it thinks it's not the biggest in the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds very familiar and to reiterate as I believe this is a cross-post, falcos are known aggressive and can get large and will display such behavior towards certain fish especially smaller, anthias and other hawkfish
You have to decide if it continues, do you place in sump or sell it
If worst comes to worst I might have to seperate the mean hawkfish for a little while. I just find it wierd because the hawk isn't mean to the other fish in the tank, even the watchman goby which is the most submissive fish i've ever kept.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just want to say that the dottyback is like waaay faster than the hawkfish since the hawkfish is a quite akward swimmer

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just want to say that the dottyback is like waaay faster than the hawkfish since the hawkfish is a quite akward swimmer
Dottybacks can be very entertaining to watch when they want to be. I have one that digs burrows.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dottybacks can be very entertaining to watch when they want to be. I have one that digs burrows.
Also every dottyback has amazing colours. Especially the bicolor, sunrise, orchid, splendid, and purple stripe dottybacks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also every dottyback has amazing colours. Especially the bicolor, sunrise, orchid, splendid, and purple stripe dottybacks.
I miss my neon (just up and disappeared one day). Right now I just have a striped dottyback, which looks almost identical to a bicolor cleaner wrasse.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss my neon (just up and disappeared one day). Right now I just have a striped dottyback, which looks almost identical to a bicolor cleaner wrasse.
I was looking for a striped dottyback. I just could not find one because I live in rural Canada. usually we don't get too many. uncommon fish up here.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for a striped dottyback. I just could not find one because I live in rural Canada. usually we don't get too many. uncommon fish up here.
Get in touch with Bayside Corals. They can usually get you any kind of fish you're after (and they ship anywhere in Canada).

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You own one of the biggest ******s in the saltwater aquarium industry and to top it off its in a 32 gal tank. If you want a peaceful tank take the Hawkfish to a LFS or give it to a local. And yes i have one. Hes an idiot.

C38F56B5-04EF-4F83-89CA-2D4DE2EFAF67.jpeg

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You own one of the biggest ******s in the saltwater aquarium industry and to top it off its in a 32 gal tank. If you want a peaceful tank take the Hawkfish to a LFS or give it to a local. And yes i have one. Hes an idiot.

C38F56B5-04EF-4F83-89CA-2D4DE2EFAF67.jpeg
wow ok that's a bit much. Are you sure there is nothing I can do to kinda calm it down? He's not aggressive to any other fish in the tank other than the new one

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If worst comes to worst I might have to seperate the mean hawkfish for a little while. I just find it wierd because the hawk isn't mean to the other fish in the tank, even the watchman goby which is the most submissive fish i've ever kept.
Were the other fish in before the hawk? If yes it would accept them as senior but it will not accept anything new to the tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow ok that's a bit much. Are you sure there is nothing I can do to kinda calm it down? He's not aggressive to any other fish in the tank other than the new one
I mentioned the Falco to one of the resident fish experts at my LFS today (as they got one in) and he confirmed "yep, a**hole".

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned the Falco to one of the resident fish experts at my LFS today (as they got one in) and he confirmed "yep, a**hole".
Welp, i think i might have to get rid of the hawk. He's big and mean and I really wanted a peaceful tank. It will be kind of hard to break it to mum because she loves the fish X D

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, i think i might have to get rid of the hawk. He's big and mean and I really wanted a peaceful tank. It will be kind of hard to break it to mum because she loves the fish X D
Great excuse to upgrade to a bigger tank!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back