OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great excuse to upgrade to a bigger tank!
But i'm also willing to give a few things a shot because I'm really fond of my hawkfish as well. Another tip I heard was putting the aggressor in a bucket for like a 12-16 hours with an air pump just to kinda reset its little fish brain.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But i'm also willing to give a few things a shot because I'm really fond of my hawkfish as well. Another tip I heard was putting the aggressor in a bucket for like a 12-16 hours with an air pump just to kinda reset its little fish brain.
At this point you really don't have anything to lose.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow ok that's a bit much. Are you sure there is nothing I can do to kinda calm it down? He's not aggressive to any other fish in the tank other than the new one
I’ve already accepted the fact ill be getting rid of mine eventually but having a tang in my tank keeps him in check. I think thats the issue with yours. Yours runs the roost and its a small tank. Heck i think mines small for him in a 90.

Now when i add new additions he chases them around for a few days then gets bored and or the tang gives him a nip.

Mine will knock snails off rocks and glass just for fun. He hates Nassarius snails for some reason.

The only reason I have him is i took my kids with me to get fish. Talked me into it.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see the situation in the morning because right now i've put a blanket over the tank becaause I've heard a blackout can help.
My suggestion is take him out, move the rocks around (like a lot) then add him back in. But imo he will still do it but just with another fish.

Another thing i do which may be screwed up i have long tongs and ill chase him around the tank if hes chasing a new fish and or if a snail is upside down. Heck i caught him the other day with my bare hands. :winking-face-with-tongue: But like I said mines an idiot.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220622_214242.jpg
You own one of the biggest ******s in the saltwater aquarium industry and to top it off its in a 32 gal tank. If you want a peaceful tank take the Hawkfish to a LFS or give it to a local. And yes i have one. Hes an idiot.

C38F56B5-04EF-4F83-89CA-2D4DE2EFAF67.jpeg
******* just ate my Cleaner Shrimp a few days ago!, loves to perch on top of corals, also a greedy Fat butt! He could eat all day if you supply the food.

He occasionally bumps heads with my Midas Blenny, but other than eating my shrimp, he gets along with other 3 Clowns...and is fun to watch...but nothing surprises me anymore!

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is take him out, move the rocks around (like a lot) then add him back in. But imo he will still do it but just with another fish.

Another thing i do which may be screwed up i have long tongs and ill chase him around the tank if hes chasing a new fish and or if a snail is upside down. Heck i caught him the other day with my bare hands. :winking-face-with-tongue: But like I said mines an idiot.
sometimes i do that with my clown, but to protect me because Esmerelda's a biter.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
******* just ate my Cleaner Shrimp a few days ago!, loves to perch on top of corals, also a greedy Fat butt! He could eat all day if you supply the food.

He occasionally bumps heads with my Midas Blenny, but other than eating my shrimp, he gets along with other 3 Clowns...and is fun to watch...but nothing surprises me anymore!
I've been told I got lucky because he hasn't even looked at my cleaner. But I hope he doesn't. It was $50

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told I got lucky because he hasn't even looked at my cleaner. But I hope he doesn't. It was $50
I inherited a cleaner shrimp from a local reefer and was going to throw him in the tank but my wife loved him so much and is now in a fluval in her office. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Brian Cox Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited a cleaner shrimp from a local reefer and was going to throw him in the tank but my wife loved him so much and is now in a fluval in her office. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Brian Cox Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO
So I tried the blackout Method and it half worked . The falco isn’t being that big of a pp head as before .

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I support all the above comments that the falco hawkfish is a sleeper serial killer.

I loved mine but soon he decided he wanted to kill my shrimp and a new baby starry blenny.

I wish i would have read up on them first as they are notorious for killing inverts and smaller fish. They are essentially a preditory hunter......

Needless to say, the little ******* went back to the fish store after i netted him during feeding time.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You own one of the biggest ******s in the saltwater aquarium industry and to top it off its in a 32 gal tank. If you want a peaceful tank take the Hawkfish to a LFS or give it to a local. And yes i have one. Hes an idiot.

C38F56B5-04EF-4F83-89CA-2D4DE2EFAF67.jpeg
I think I’ve arranged a trade for the hawkfish. They’re giving me a flasher wrasse

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned the Falco to one of the resident fish experts at my LFS today (as they got one in) and he confirmed "yep, a**hole".
I support all the above comments that the falco hawkfish is a sleeper serial killer.
I loved mine but soon he decided he wanted to kill my shrimp and a new baby starry blenny.

I wish i would have read up on them first as they are notorious for killing inverts and smaller fish. They are essentially a preditory hunter......

Needless to say, the little ******* went back to the fish store after i netted him during feeding time.
20A43016-FDF5-4C22-8DFD-62C0DFD3F519.jpeg

Battle scars on the tail there from the big meanie I hope he’ll be alright. He seems fine, swimming around and eating well.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we are calling the hawkfish mean but we all know that once the dotty gets big it can also be an outright killer… right? This is a nano tank after all.

My orchid dotty was fine for a year then turned evil and killed a starkii damsel and two cleaner shrimp. I chose orchid because they are supposed to be more laid back. And no it was not a purple dotty.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we are calling the hawkfish mean but we all know that once the dotty gets big it can also be an outright killer… right? This is a nano tank after all.

My orchid dotty was fine for a year then turned evil and killed a starkii damsel and two cleaner shrimp. I chose orchid because they are supposed to be more laid back. And no it was not a purple dotty.
Every fish is different, and I might have to get rid of him. But I am kinda raising him as the last fish in the tank + the smallest so he gets used to everyone and their territory.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish is different, and I might have to get rid of him. But I am kinda raising him as the last fish in the tank + the smallest so he gets used to everyone and their territory.

Ya, I am just saying... it is not like a neon dotty back is innocent. The hawkfish is probably saving himself from future grief but putting the little neon goober in his place. It may even prevent the neon from becoming very aggressive since he's not the top dog in town.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back