Fallow once again

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to eradicate what seems to be ich been fighting it for a long time last 2 fallow periods have failed. 1st one defo my fault 2nd one not sure what happened but waited 85 days treated my fish with copper and used mollies to check if there was still ich .
However using the copper I didn’t have a accurate test kit so that may be one issue - as well as the mollies just not getting ich even now so that threw me off as I was initially planning to TTM all fish before going into the DT. 2ndly the DT and the hospital tank were right next to each other and so there may have been some aerosol transmission.

This time I am separating the tanks into 2 different rooms. I will remove all fish into a 300L tank that will undergo hyposalinity for 4 weeks as a form of treatment. Then I will watch them for 4 weeks. During this time my DT will be fallow for 8 weeks.
If any spots are seen I will TTM the fishes and put them into the DT.
Now can anyone see any form of flaws in this process please tell me know because if this doesn’t work I’m leaving the hobby I cannot deal with this again.!

Pictures attached are of the fish with ich last time I went fallow. Currently no one looks like they did just a few spots on my blue tang and fox face

CB8127E2-4425-49D5-A688-674595FD1DE3.jpeg 5D6E20F8-3CDB-4F0F-AA31-BF6A1DC0D60B.jpeg 7B58940C-1457-4E3E-A9DE-A58DE702D037.jpeg 1D68E7A5-3DF3-4352-880C-7BCEAB675850.jpeg 7BBEA7DA-B597-48C6-A2BA-D139ADD7B582.jpeg 9E858B24-E1A9-4D6A-9DF6-90BCE44182FB.jpeg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, given two prior failures and being highly motivated to clear the ich from your tank, I would not use hypo and observation alone, and I would go longer than 8 weeks.

You have clear reasons why your first two attempts failed. I would consider copper or TTM again, and go longer on your fallow period. I know that 6 weeks at an elevated temp is the current thing, but if you’ve already failed twice, this strain could be a tougher one to beat.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, given two prior failures and being highly motivated to clear the ich from your tank, I would not use hypo and observation alone, and I would go longer than 8 weeks.

You have clear reasons why your first two attempts failed. I would consider copper or TTM again, and go longer on your fallow period. I know that 6 weeks at an elevated temp is the current thing, but if you’ve already failed twice, this strain could be a tougher one to beat.
Why wouldn’t hypo be sufficient? Copper I am not doing again I’ve had enough of that just doesn’t work for me hanna checker I bought didn’t work either. TTM is possible but honestly it’s going to make it apt harder for me. If hypo eradicated ich from the symptomatic fish it’ll be a lot easier for me.
from what I’ve read it does work and would be a feasible option in my case.

I will most likely leave my tank fallow for 90 days minimum

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A phrase comes to mind: “half measures avail us nothing.” Use hypo alone at your own risk. I don’t believe it’s a reliable sole method for ich eradication.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A phrase comes to mind: “half measures avail us nothing.” Use hypo alone at your own risk. I don’t believe it’s a reliable sole method for ich eradication.
Decided to do TTM on all fish before they go into a Hospital tank. Then leave the DT empty til next year then add the fish back if that don’t work I’m quitting

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the method of hybrid TTM with the two peroxide dips.

I wouldn't do hypo...some strains are resistant to hypo.

TTM has always worked for me to clear new fish of ich. I have two sets of everything and I let it thoroughly dry with a fan in a seperate room and I have the QT tank in a seperate room as well. I even use a spare refractometer and have everything dedicated for a QT. Just be careful if you reuse anything and try to not have your hands in your DT and the QT on the same day or do it after a shower.

Cant be too careful as repeating this process is a pita as you personally know!

Keep in mind anytime you add something wet to the DT....coral ..snails...etc ..you risk bringing in ich again. Some people have invert QT where they fallow CUC and corals.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to eradicate what seems to be ich been fighting it for a long time last 2 fallow periods have failed. 1st one defo my fault 2nd one not sure what happened but waited 85 days treated my fish with copper and used mollies to check if there was still ich .
However using the copper I didn’t have a accurate test kit so that may be one issue - as well as the mollies just not getting ich even now so that threw me off as I was initially planning to TTM all fish before going into the DT. 2ndly the DT and the hospital tank were right next to each other and so there may have been some aerosol transmission.

This time I am separating the tanks into 2 different rooms. I will remove all fish into a 300L tank that will undergo hyposalinity for 4 weeks as a form of treatment. Then I will watch them for 4 weeks. During this time my DT will be fallow for 8 weeks.
If any spots are seen I will TTM the fishes and put them into the DT.
Now can anyone see any form of flaws in this process please tell me know because if this doesn’t work I’m leaving the hobby I cannot deal with this again.!

Pictures attached are of the fish with ich last time I went fallow. Currently no one looks like they did just a few spots on my blue tang and fox face

CB8127E2-4425-49D5-A688-674595FD1DE3.jpeg 5D6E20F8-3CDB-4F0F-AA31-BF6A1DC0D60B.jpeg 7B58940C-1457-4E3E-A9DE-A58DE702D037.jpeg 1D68E7A5-3DF3-4352-880C-7BCEAB675850.jpeg 7BBEA7DA-B597-48C6-A2BA-D139ADD7B582.jpeg 9E858B24-E1A9-4D6A-9DF6-90BCE44182FB.jpeg
I don't understand why people put themselves through this process. It is like some sort of religous ritual of self flagalation.

There is another better way, that doesn't require an Iron Maiden to accomplish.

I wish you luck. :|

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why people put themselves through this process. It is like some sort of religous ritual of self flagalation.

There is another better way, that doesn't require an Iron Maiden to accomplish.

I wish you luck. :|
And what method is that, please don’t ich management

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the method of hybrid TTM with the two peroxide dips.

I wouldn't do hypo...some strains are resistant to hypo.

TTM has always worked for me to clear new fish of ich. I have two sets of everything and I let it thoroughly dry with a fan in a seperate room and I have the QT tank in a seperate room as well. I even use a spare refractometer and have everything dedicated for a QT. Just be careful if you reuse anything and try to not have your hands in your DT and the QT on the same day or do it after a shower.

Cant be too careful as repeating this process is a pita as you personally know!

Keep in mind anytime you add something wet to the DT....coral ..snails...etc ..you risk bringing in ich again. Some people have invert QT where they fallow CUC and corals.
I’m happy to do this, if this works this time and whatever the disease is is gone I will WT everything but this is definitely the final straw for me

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish got ick in my 180 & at first I couldn't get any of them out. Lost two clowns, sailfin, powder brown, two cleaner wrasses. I turned on the red lights late one evening and netted my hippo, yellow and purple tangs. I couldn't get out the melanurus wrasse, scooter blenny and three damsels. Put them in a 30 qt & started cupramine. Just short of 2 weeks the hippo broke out again. I was in total shock that this could happen while being treated. I checked the copper level and cupramine does maintain prescribed level. It has been another two weeks and all look fine even though the hippo still does some scratching which concerns me. I'm considering the fallow period from 9/27 as the other fish in the DT have shown no signs of ick. Hopefully the 3 tangs can go back in the DT in December making a great Christmas present. I'll keep my fingers crossed as this move will be just short of 3 months! Good luck with your decisions.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish got ick in my 180 & at first I couldn't get any of them out. Lost two clowns, sailfin, powder brown, two cleaner wrasses. I turned on the red lights late one evening and netted my hippo, yellow and purple tangs. I couldn't get out the melanurus wrasse, scooter blenny and three damsels. Put them in a 30 qt & started cupramine. Just short of 2 weeks the hippo broke out again. I was in total shock that this could happen while being treated. I checked the copper level and cupramine does maintain prescribed level. It has been another two weeks and all look fine even though the hippo still does some scratching which concerns me. I'm considering the fallow period from 9/27 as the other fish in the DT have shown no signs of ick. Hopefully the 3 tangs can go back in the DT in December making a great Christmas present. I'll keep my fingers crossed as this move will be just short of 3 months! Good luck with your decisions.
Not to be the bringer of bad news - but if you still have fish in your DT there’s really no point in waiting 3 months - as long as there is fish in there the ich is reproducing - even if it’s not showing signs in your fish. Now let’s say you’ve treated your tangs, if u add them now or in 3 months you will not change the fact ich is still present in the DT. If you’re not willing to catch the fish in DT and do a proper fallow period I’d say put the tangs in now and try do ich management. I regret getting a blue tang honestly since I’ve got it caused so many problems.

I’m currently going fallow too, removed all fish and are doing TTM on them before they go into the hospital tank . If I see any ich on these fish I’m giving up for real.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back